• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting Contracting? - Agencies, IR35 and the rest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Contracting? - Agencies, IR35 and the rest

I have been contracting for a only few months now and in the beginning it took me a fair while to work out who to talk to and where to find information.

Below is just a rant on what I discovered and hopefully it helps any noivice contractors out there.

Contractor UK Forums:
    If your reading these forums then you're already on the right track.

Read, read and do some more reading of the guides available.

PCG also have a forum but you have to be a member to use it.

Agencies:
    Agencies get a very bad rap on forums and sometimes they deserve everything they get. There are some good angencies out there but unfortunately I have found they are very few are far between.

Hints (I actually went through a very bad experience with one agency):
    1. Never send references before the interview! Always insist on giving them directly to the client.
    2. If the agent says "don't discuss your rate during the interview as I will neg the best possible rate". Rubbish!! Ask the client during the interview what rate the contract is offered for.
    3. Don't tell the agent your min hourly/daily rate. EVER!!
    4. If the contract is 8 pages of small print be very suspicious.
    5. Be very careful of restrictive clauses in contracts - remember, you are a free agent and if you are dealing with an agency that doesn't fully recognize that...tell them to get stuffed (politely of course ;-) )
    6. If an agency pressures you into signing a contact quickly (i.e "we need it signed within 2 hours otherwise the client will walk") they are taking the piss and don't sign anything until you fully understand what you are signing.
    7. If they pressure you to opt out of the agency regulations with comments like "you'll come under IR-35" and "the client doesn't want you to opt in"...They have no idea what they are talking about so opt in or walk.
    8. If you are worried about opting in/out get advice from The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI). They have a free help line.
    9. Ask in the interview whether the agency you are using is a preferred agency. If not then it is most likely they are taking a big cut.
    10. Finally trust your gut instinct...if you think that the agency is not working in your best interests...THEY AREN'T!!

Eventually my contract got sorted (i.e. I went to another agency) but if I'd known what I know now (about Agencies) I would have handled it very differently from the beginning.

IR-35:
    Always get your contract checked by an independent tax consultant before signing. Bauer and Cottrell offer a great service.

If the agency says their contract is IR-35 compliant...get it checked anyway.

Composite / Limited or Umbrella:
    It has been a hot topic over the past few weeks but my advice is START YOUR OWN LIMITED COMPANY!! Most people think it is hard work but with the right advice/help it is easy.

The costs compared to going through a "Managed Service" company are the same or cheaper once a good tax plan is in place.

I started with a composite company structure (as most of my mates were with one) and the main thing is that they do not recognize what your business does and churn you out like on a factory line. I found the advice very "off-the-shelf".

For example: I doubt a Managed Service company will introduce you to schemes like the VAT Flat Rate Scheme, which in the end may save you quite a lot of money.

Once I formed the company (took about 24 hours through SJD Accountancy's website) and assigned my accountants (again SJD Accountancy) one of the first phrases I heard was "Tax Plan". BRILLIANT!!!

And the main thing? You own and manage your own company which is much more fulfilling and exciting.

PCG:
    Join the Professional Contractors Group (www.pcg.org.uk) and take advantage of their member benefits such as discounted PI, PL and EL insurance.

They also have a free legal advice line and member forum which could come in handy if an auditor from the tax department comes knocking.

I was a permy for many years and entering into contracting can be a daunting prospect. But there is good advice everywhere...you just have to know where to find it.
    Last edited by Lowery; 22 December 2006, 04:18.

there does seem to be a rash of Cornish farmers on this board recently
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

You've distilled all the good advice from these forums and pages, well done. Seems like you've got it nailed. I'm still permie and will take the plunge after the new year.

I've not posted here for a while, its all new people!
      Last edited by Diestl; 21 December 2006, 22:54.

Comment

ha ha..umm sorry I don't get the Cornish line.

Comment

Can I add one

Money:

Well done, you've got your first contract. Your earning loads. This doesn't make you Richard Branson. Don't spend it, stash it for the hard times.

When you've got your second and third contracts then you've proved you can do it more than once. Enjoy!
          Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Originally posted by Bear
            Can I add one

Money:

Well done, you've got your first contract. Your earning loads. This doesn't make you Richard Branson. Don't spend it, stash it for the hard times.

When you've got your second and third contracts then you've proved you can do it more than once. Enjoy!
            MF can cruise through 2-3 contracts a quarter.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear
              Can I add one

Money:

Good point Beer.

Another thing is that it takes a period of time for new contractors to switch out of the permanent employee mindset. The sooner a contractor realsies that they are in fact running a business and are subject to all the benefits & trappings of running a business the better.

Comment

"MF can cruise through 2-3 contracts a quarter."

Xenophon.Dont be silly, I dont do long term work.

Very good synopsis. Well done. But this must be finished with the words.

Show me the money. SHOW ME THE MONEY. I LUUUUUUUUVVVVVVVVVVVVV BLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK K PPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPP LLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. NOWWWWWWWWWWW SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEE MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEYYYYYYYY

hth
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Hitting the Christmas sherry a bit early today MF?

Comment

Working...
                  X