• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Own LTD company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AZZIK
    I have just found out from giant that I am supposed to be putting 80 pound a side a week for self assessment that I will have to pay because of my dividend. I don't understand this because I thought mananged companies dealt with all the tax, NI etc that your supposed to pay to inland Revenue.
    AZZIK, when you are paid dividends you are also given 10% tax credits, which is supposed to cover taxes to pay on dividend up to ~£33k (or I think it may be ~£338k, if the personal allowance is included, I am not sure which is the correct figure). Assuming that your dividends for the fiscal year do not exceed that figure you do't have to worry about it, but if they do then you'll have to pay an extra 23.5% (33.5 minus the tax credit) on the exceeding amount, hence Giant's suggestion that you put some extra money aside, as they obviously forecast that the dividend paid to you will be higher than ~£33/38k
    Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

this is all bulltulip.

even if you go through an umbrella or mananged company you are allowed to claim a standard daily subsistence rate without proof of receipts.

Comment

Originally posted by el duder
        this is all bulltulip.

even if you go through an umbrella or mananged company you are allowed to claim a standard daily subsistence rate without proof of receipts.
        Only if you stay overnight (£5 per day if in the UK or £10 per day if you are abroad). Any other "unreceipted" subsistence claim may be contested by Hector
        Carpe Pactum

Comment

Originally posted by To BI or not to BI?
          or I think it may be ~£338k,
          I wish!!
          Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Originally posted by AZZIK
            Thanks to everyone that has replied you have been a great help.
            I think I won't claim for petrol and food subsitance if it can land me in trouble.

It is nice to be able to ask experianced people for help and advice on this forum when needed.

By sounds of it it seems as a contractor you can end up with a similar salary as if you were permanant with an agency for example I have just found out from giant that I am supposed to be putting 80 pound a side a week for self assessment that I will have to pay because of my dividend. I don't understand this because I thought mananged companies dealt with all the tax, NI etc that your supposed to pay to inland Revenue.

I don't have any income coming in except this contract but no expenses and putting money aside leaves me with 67% of my salary so am I better off working permanant where I will get holidays and benefits.
            My current contract falls outside IR35.
            The simple answer is that you would be better off with your own company than permanent, any dividends you are paid will only have company taxes accounted for, you will have to keep some aside to meet your personal taxes. (If you are a higher rate tax payer, otherwise there is no extra tax due).

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Bear
              I wish!!
              oops, minor type. I meant, of course, ~£38k.

Thanks Bear for pointing that out
              Carpe Pactum

Comment

I prefered your first answer!
                Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Originally posted by To BI or not to BI?
                  Only if you stay overnight (£5 per day if in the UK or £10 per day if you are abroad). Any other "unreceipted" subsistence claim may be contested by Hector
                  Sorry, but this is wrong. Do you have proof of this?

I have always claimed daily subs through an umbrella at a standard rate without proof of receipts.

Comment

I have always claimed daily subs through an umbrella at a standard rate without proof of receipts.
                    http://forums.contractoruk.com/threa...tml#post163368
                    and
                    http://forums.contractoruk.com/thread12666.html
                    Carpe Pactum

Comment

to BI or not to BI? el duder is winding you up

IMHO I'd forget about the subsistence claims unless you're working away on an overnight stop.
                      -------------
                      Cactus

Comment

Working...
                      X