• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

KPMG - Enforced Leave (2017-18 edition)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KPMG - Enforced Leave (2017-18 edition)

Just heard that they're enforcing leave over Xmas.

Last day Friday 15th December 2017, back Monday 8th January 2018.

Affects both contractors and permies.

No permies and contractors on site over that entire period??
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Odd, for permies I mean. Do they have to take annual leave or is it a free holiday?

Good from an IR35 perspective though, for contractors. And it's always nice to have the holiday season off.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        No. 6 weeks less notice than last year and 1 week longer.

Comment

It's not really a problem though, is it?

My current client always furloughs a fortnight over xmas and I enjoy having the break (though have in the past been given exemptions due to project targets so ended up taking ~1 week instead).

I get that having something "forced" as a contractor might be frustrating, but it's not like having time off work to spend with your friends/family/plan B project is a bad thing

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
            It's not really a problem though, is it?

My current client always furloughs a fortnight over xmas and I enjoy having the break (though have in the past been given exemptions due to project targets so ended up taking ~1 week instead).

I get that having something "forced" as a contractor might be frustrating, but it's not like having time off work to spend with your friends/family/plan B project is a bad thing
            Manifests as a 20% rate cut over a 3 month contract. Not only that but I like to be the one deciding if/when I take breaks not the end client.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              Odd, for permies I mean. Do they have to take annual leave or is it a free holiday?

Good from an IR35 perspective though, for contractors. And it's always nice to have the holiday season off.
              Why? You're being treated the same as a perm.

Good for contractors if permies were still expected to book holidays to take time off.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

It's a consultancy so likely that most end clients don't want people on site for the week before Christmas and the few days after new year.

Hence its better to have everyone on leave as there won't be enough space for them in KPMG's offices...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

My current clientco has issued a furlough for the entire December.

Perks of contracting, cant wait for it.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    It's a consultancy so likely that most end clients don't want people on site for the week before Christmas and the few days after new year.
                    God forbid they actually acted like a proper consultancy and improved the products and services they sell when the client doesn't want staff on site / working, as opposed to just another bodyshop...

Comment

Working...
                    X