Posts 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Upwork

Super poster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Upwork

Joined Upwork as there weren't that many members currently offering my field of expertise however you get paid in US dollars, not sure if it's aimed at UK.

Anyone a member of this and gotten paid, how did you do it and any tax implications?

TIA

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

Should post faster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only experienced doing a small project there for a US startup that was prepared to pay going rates, must have been 4 years ago now when it was known as Elance. Taxation as a Limited is as simple as doing business with any US contract - no VAT etc.

I haven't used it since, as it's a race to the bottom, the worst combination of "clients" (chancers) wanting everything for the VERY lowest prices, for which seemingly thousands of Indian and Eastern European sweet shops are prepared to work for.

If you're a serious contractor I wouldn't waste your time and maybe consider other options like YunoJuno etc.

Super poster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Only experienced doing a small project there for a US startup that was prepared to pay going rates, must have been 4 years ago now when it was known as Elance. Taxation as a Limited is as simple as doing business with any US contract - no VAT etc.

I haven't used it since, as it's a race to the bottom, the worst combination of "clients" (chancers) wanting everything for the VERY lowest prices, for which seemingly thousands of Indian and Eastern European sweet shops are prepared to work for.

If you're a serious contractor I wouldn't waste your time and maybe consider other options like YunoJuno etc.
    Cheers may close it down and take a look at YunoJuno.

qh

Super poster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

YunoJuno only based in London & New York at the moment.

qh

Should post faster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Toptal" seems to be a higher rates freelance site but I have no experience myself to report.
    Last edited by TheGreenBastard; 18th November 2017 at 09:05.

Godlike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    thousands of Indian and Eastern European sweet shops are prepared to work for.
    I suppose it's better than them being turned into Sainsburys and Tesco locals...

Still gathering requirements...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I researched these quite extensively a while back - there are numerous similar platforms. In the end I also got the impression that it's a race to the bottom with rates, and there's a hell of a lot of time spent chasing new business which ends up being just a few hours/days. Only a tiny fraction at the very top manage to match average UK contractor rates.

Still good income for many parts of the world. If I were younger, without a family and fancied working form a Caribbean beach for a year, I'd certainly go for it.

eek

bored now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zylon View Post
    I researched these quite extensively a while back - there are numerous similar platforms. In the end I also got the impression that it's a race to the bottom with rates, and there's a hell of a lot of time spent chasing new business which ends up being just a few hours/days. Only a tiny fraction at the very top manage to match average UK contractor rates.

Still good income for many parts of the world. If I were younger, without a family and fancied working form a Caribbean beach for a year, I'd certainly go for it.
    Have you actually tried living in the Caribbean? I can safely say that it isnít cheap ~ heck Scandinavia is cheaper to eat out in
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

ctm

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Found that upwork and other sites was full of professionals from India that would massively undercut what I thought was acceptable and therefore I struggled to get any work. A few contacted me and asked me to match their rate which was around half what I had quoted and wasnít really worth my time.