• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I be voicing that I'm under utilised?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I be voicing that I'm under utilised?

Hi All,
    I'm half way through a 3 month contract with view of extension. I've not had any comments about my performance. However, I feel for the rate they are paying me. I am hugely under utilised. I work in IT Infrastructure and was brought in to work with Microsoft to resolve a number off issues. But I've only spent about 2 days doing that work and the rest of 1st/2nd line support like imaging PC's.

Its definitely not because they dont think i'm capable, as they regularly ask me to assist on niggling issues and point where they should looking in order to resolve it.

But should I say something to my manager that they 'are not getting their monies worth'? The 1st/2nd line stuff is boring and its certainly not what I signed up for (originally was meant to be Azure and SCOM work). But its a good company and the people I work directly with are down to earth, so I don't want to cut it short to find more meaty work.

They have a servicedesk team, who seem to be bypassed to come directly to me, I assume as I turn over the work faster.

You could just ask for more work without saying you are under-utilised? Can you see something there you would like to do? Is there any skills you would like to learn? Could you do some training?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      You could just ask for more work without saying you are under-utilised? Can you see something there you would like to do? Is there any skills you would like to learn? Could you do some training?
      If there's literally nothing directly related to the project(s) detailed in the schedule of my contract, I can normally find some documentation to do, create a Sharepoint wiki or some such.

Comment

OP I am in a similar situation as you - got told there was a load of project work to be done and then when I started the gig it transpired there really wasn't much work there at all.

I just carried on doing whatever small projects needed doing and kept my head down, did a bit of sharpening up on my skills, playing around with Azure VM's and setting up virtual labs at times when there wasn't much on. I then went on to automate a few things for the helldesk guys.. I've got an extension out of it despite feeling I am probably only "working" a few hours a day.

I haven't raised anything with the guy in charge, mostly because I now feel its not the right time (just before xmas) to find ones self without a contract. I personally think at this time of year it has to be carry on with the status quo, then look for something more challenging in the New Year. Just my opinion, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
          If there's literally nothing directly related to the project(s) detailed in the schedule of my contract, I can normally find some documentation to do, create a Sharepoint wiki or some such.
          Documentation is a great shout BBP.

Comment

You shouldn't be doing any work that is not defined in your contract. If you are you are under Direction and Control of your client. Having no D&C is one of your main defences against IR35. They are just using you as another employee.

I'd be sitting them down and discussing your role on that topic alone, let alone not being happy with the gig and given crap to do.

I've worked at plenty of places where I am under utilized but if the hiring manager close enough to see what I do and is happy with it he'll likely just sign it again. Even more so for you if you are an extra head he can do what he wants with you (like a permie).

I'd be looking to get out of that gig personally on a number of reasons. Some people would say just keep invoicing but crap gigs with IR35 problems are not for me. One of the benefits of contracting is that you can say no thanks and go find something better surely?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
              Documentation is a great shout BBP.
              It's boring but it's easy money.

I've been in a similar situation here because they haven't yet signed up for the tool I'm supposed to be integrating .

They know I can't get involved in BAU stuff & seem happy with me getting on with a bit of R&D into the tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                I've been in a similar situation here because they haven't yet signed up a tool .
                I think they have
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ever been for an interview and client has said its really straightforward here and not very busy? I'll bet never. Every single client thinks they're set up is the most complicated and they are the most busy.

Often its not like that. I've had gigs like that where they seem happy to just have another person there. I've also done gigs where I've thought flipping heck you need 10 more people here.

Some clients are happy for you to come up ideas and change things around, some actively don't like this and would rather you do what they want and don't rock the boat. (Sometimes to be fair its the permie team members like it as things are).

I've worked for clients where I've seen something wrong, been able to save them a bit of money, got plenty of spare time to look at it and and they've actively told me to leave it alone. Or permies have got a bit upset about it. Its annoying when that happens but sometimes you do just have to leave it. Might be right but rocking the boat dont get you an extension.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    You shouldn't be doing any work that is not defined in your contract. If you are you are under Direction and Control of your client. Having no D&C is one of your main defences against IR35. They are just using you as another employee.

I'd be sitting them down and discussing your role on that topic alone, let alone not being happy with the gig and given crap to do.

I've worked at plenty of places where I am under utilized but if the hiring manager close enough to see what I do and is happy with it he'll likely just sign it again. Even more so for you if you are an extra head he can do what he wants with you (like a permie).

I'd be looking to get out of that gig personally on a number of reasons. Some people would say just keep invoicing but crap gigs with IR35 problems are not for me. One of the benefits of contracting is that you can say no thanks and go find something better surely?
                    Of course, doesnt apply if you're already PS Inside IR35.....
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X