• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector direct contracting.. best method?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public sector direct contracting.. best method?

Hi,

I have been a Ltd and Umbrella contractor via an agency, now I find myself at a university within IR35 without agency involvement... is it best for me to invoice the uni and be paid net to my personal bank account as an individual with the required insurances personally or get an umbrella company involved again?

What are they willing to do? Will they really go for a payment to a personal account? Ask them what they are willing to accommodate?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I doubt they'd be willing to do this because, if the relationship is factually akin to employment (as might be argued if they were to otherwise classify the contract as inside IR35), it exposes them to the consequences of not applying PAYE/NI correctly. However, to answer your question directly, yes, you'd be better off as a sole trader, providing that you're willing to expose your personal assets.

More than likely, it isn't an option.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        I doubt they'd be willing to do this because, if the relationship is factually akin to employment (as might be argued if they were to otherwise classify the contract as inside IR35), it exposes them to the consequences of not applying PAYE/NI correctly. However, to answer your question directly, yes, you'd be better off as a sole trader, providing that you're willing to expose your personal assets.

More than likely, it isn't an option.
        That means your house, car and any savings you might have if HMRC come knocking.

Just to make it clear.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thanks for the chilling response , is this not what professional indemnity insurance is for to safeguard against though?

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          That means your house, car and any savings you might have if HMRC come knocking.

Just to make it clear.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Just to make it clear.
            Sure, but why HMRC? I'm talking about business risk. Notwithstanding contractual clauses, it would be the responsibility of the university to deal with HMRC if they were accused of false self-employment. That's the point. That's why they're unlikely to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by BradMcA View Post
              Thanks for the chilling response , is this not what professional indemnity insurance is for to safeguard against though?
              A particular type of business risk, yes (i.e. when you do something, professionally, that causes harm). Even then, there are policy limits etc. Remember, you have unlimited liability, in principle, as a sole trader.

Comment

Operating as a sole trader is easier admin wise, I would ignore the more doom laden advice, as there are several million sole traders in the UK not facing personal financial ruin.

An introduction:

https://www.theguardian.com/small-bu...any-freelances
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Wouldn't brollie be better as the OP could put money straight into a pension thus saving tax at source? Easier admin too?
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    Wouldn't brollie be better as the OP could put money straight into a pension thus saving tax at source? Easier admin too?
                    Yep but very few allow more than the minimum. Contractor Umbrella have a good setup.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X