• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renewal / Rate Increase / Role Change

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1 Jack Kada View Post
    Ignore this advice. Most people doing contracts are disguised employees and trying your best and being ambitious is well encouraged.

Some people here will tell you they are real business because they have some business cards or do ir35

Ir35 is so grey and vague no one knows much about it. Asking for a pay rise and taking on more responsibility is a good thing and you can always ask for a rise
    Ignore this advice.

Just ignore it.

One needs to mitigate themselves from an unnecessary tax burden, like the so-called 183 day rule. How's that going BTW?
    Last edited by stek; 5 November 2017, 20:49.

Comment

Ir35 is so grey and vague no one knows much about it. Asking for a pay rise and taking on more responsibility is a good thing and you can always ask for a rise
      That's the worst bit of advice I've seen in a longtime. I mean... Pay rise? Honestly.

Very poor.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        That's the worst bit of advice I've seen in a longtime. I mean... Pay rise? Honestly.

Very poor.
        Ok let’s argue over semantics.

Pay rise equals increased contract rate. Does that make you happy now we call it increased day rate

Every contract renewal should be a chance to evaluate pay rise or increased rate not least because of inflation. Taking on more responsibility equals doing more work in contractor talk but I prefer not to talk in riddles

Comment

Ok let’s argue over semantics.

Pay rise equals increased contract rate. Does that make you happy now we call it increased day rate
          It's not semantics. One is a rate you charge your client, the other is what you pay yourself. It's a mind set and the correct way of thinking. Get stuff like this right in your head other aspects of contracting will naturally fall in to place.
          Every contract renewal should be a chance to evaluate pay rise or increased rate not least because of inflation. Taking on more responsibility equals doing more work in contractor talk but I prefer not to talk in riddles
          Inflation.. On 3 month gigs? You are off your rocker.

Taking on more responsibility can also be called Direction & Control so should be handled carefully with the correct paperwork and negotiation. It's too late to start doing what you are told and then trying to get it all sorted later. Working practices will say your under D&C.

Comment

Ignore this advice. Most people doing contracts are disguised employees and trying your best and being ambitious is well encouraged.

Some people here will tell you they are real business because they have some business cards or do ir35

This is rubbish advice, but since we will all be inside IR35 come April 2018 I can’t get too excited by it.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

One is a rate you charge your client, the other is what you pay yourself.

Taking on more responsibility can also be called Direction & Control so should be handled carefully with the correct paperwork and negotiation. It's too late to start doing what you are told and then trying to get it all sorted later. Working practices will say your under D&C.
              The rate my Ltd Co charges clients is higher for roles requiring leadership. I still get paid the same.

Now that's out the way back to my question.

What's the best (correct) way to communicate this to the client? via agent or directly?

Comment

Originally posted by aft View Post
                The rate my Ltd Co charges clients is higher for roles requiring leadership. I still get paid the same.

Now that's out the way back to my question.

What's the best (correct) way to communicate this to the client? via agent or directly?
                Who pays you? Who do you have the contractual relationship with? Got to start thinking like a business and understanding the players in the game. Keep washing over the IR35 issue but as Cojak says come April it might not be a problem... except those caught retrospectively.... but that's for another discussion.

Don't be too surprised if you don't get a big an uplift of your rate as you expect though.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  This is rubbish advice, but since we will all be inside IR35 come April 2018 I can’t get too excited by it.
                  As long as that?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Can you share the news on April 2018. I ve not heard of that change

Comment

Having been stuck in a job that I didn't enjoy and kept being paid more to stay, I can safely say this: the money does not make a crap job any less crap. It will drag you down eventually.

By all means ask for more money. The worst they'll say is no.

Decide before you ask whether no = walk at the end of January. How long can you last if you can't line something up to start in February? Many budgets refresh in April if you can hang on and take that break to get the washing up done.

I would be getting my CV out and start tapping up contacts.

Comment

Working...
                      X