• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do/Should I consider a junior role?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
    The OP has been on the bench for four months.

If a portrait artist was short of work and you offered them a grand to paint your house, they would take it. A stonemason would build a brick wall likewise. A cabinet maker would put up a shelf, again with no long term detriment to their business model.

IMO, it's not about building a career, that's for employees. It's about building a business. When I entered into business, I left my ego at the door. I would do it, though I understand that many would not.
    And if OP were any of those trades doing any of those things, i'd agree. However, what you've described is a B2C market and not a B2B market which sadly, is a much tougher sell.

For starters in a B2C scenario there isn't much likelihood of a pimp being between you and the client, and they certainly aren't going to want to look at your CV. The issue I have with this is that the last gig on the OP's CV is not going to read all that well and yes, whilst you can word around certain things, you still have to get past the fact you worked on a service desk rather than in back-end infrastructure.

Don't get me wrong, if I was short of cash i'd do it; but OP isn't in that situation yet and said he can continue to survive as is. For that reason, I think he should hold out.

Comment

It's also an "in" into the organisation in question and as such offers a development opportunity. My last contract I took on a role well within my scope and experience (ego put aside as someone said), a lot here wouldn't have considered it, at extension time the role was re-scoped and my rate doubled, happy days.

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
        It's also an "in" into the organisation in question and as such offers a development opportunity. My last contract I took on a role well within my scope and experience (ego put aside as someone said), a lot here wouldn't have considered it, at extension time the role was re-scoped and my rate doubled, happy days.
        Very true in some cases but first line service desk???
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Very true in some cases but first line service desk???
          It's a good point you make to be fair :-)

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Those Linux certs aren't really going to help you as a contractor unless you have demonstrable experience to go with it or you get lucky at a client that will let you learn on their kit.
            Yes it does make sense... The certs will probably help me on perm jobs only....

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
            IMO, it's not about building a career, that's for employees. It's about building a business. When I entered into business, I left my ego at the door. I would do it, though I understand that many would not.
            Perfect comment!

I have just been to another interview, however for a perm. role. It will give me expousure to Linux sysadmin + plus other techs that are not on my CV. Therefore it is something that I am currently thinking about as I might need to build up more skills/experience to venture in contracting again. Well if they offer me the role.

Life is all about making decisions!

Comment

Working...
            X