• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Intranet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all this guys..

Ive decided to base it more as an extranet, and build of the website.

More work than i thought so i will be charging for this now...He has asked me to come up with a price..

how much should i roughly be looking at charging!?!

Comment

Oh My Word.

And this guy is your mate? Hope he stays friends with you when you take twice as long to set it up as you quote for and it breaks within weeks of it being finished

Seriously. You want us to tell you how to set it all up and then put the quote together for you too? How many hours? Multiply this by your hourly rate. Job done.

Comment

Originally posted by NewbieContractor
        More work than i thought so i will be charging for this now...He has asked me to come up with a price..

If you're genuinely confident that you have the skills to take on this job (and I have my doubts if you don't mind me saying), spend an initial week at an agreed cost interviewing him and his staff to actually understand the purpose of the proposed intranet/extranet, and the benefits it will deliver to his business.

Then, write up a detailed document covering the functionality of the proposed solution, work out how much you want to charge for it, and how long it will take. Review this document with him (and staff if necessary), making sure that he actually understands what you're trying to communicate (acknowledgements of "uh huh" do not necessarily indicate understanding). Once you've got agreement from him, get to work on the solution and regularly show him the progress of your work. Keep an eye on timescales and feature requests - "scope creep" is likely to be your worst enemy.

Alternatively, just get a brief idea of the direction he wants to go in, and start work on an hourly rate. However, this approach is likely to end in tears, if he even agrees to it (which is unlikely in an SME scenario).

Comment

I'd say naff all.

Webdesigners are ten a penny. Good ones are not but this is only a intranet, not a global website.

Most places will create you a five page site for £50 ish. I'd say £10/page and no more depending on if they give you the content.

If its a 20 page site £200 and that should take you no more than a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
            I'd say naff all.

Webdesigners are ten a penny. Good ones are not but this is only a intranet, not a global website.
            agreed

Ten a penny = Flash 'developer'

Good = Serverside and database developer

2c
            jobjock www.dreamturbine.com

Comment

Originally posted by NewbieContractor
              How long do you think it will take you to do this project? How much is your time per hour worth?
              All that is necessary for evil members to succeed is that good members post nothing

Comment

Thanks guys, Im going to look at some figures and let you know... ive got a feeling will be in order!!

Comment

Working...
                X