• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

is this a good rate for Zurich ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    You need more like CHF1800 for Zurich.

And as the pound continues to tank you will need more.....
    According to XE 1200CHF is £1000 or so - that's well enough int it? Or have I messed up exchange rates, I thought this Russian Hat (ushanka) was £70 in this market in the Urals, it was in fact £7 cos I messed up a simple exchange rate....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      You need more like CHF1800 for Zurich.

And as the pound continues to tank you will need more.....
      I would get paid by the payroll in CHF, so if GBP falls against CHF, my swiss franc's buys more £'s (??)

Comment

Originally posted by JSBoy View Post
        I would get paid by the payroll in CHF, so if GBP falls against CHF, my swiss franc's buys more £'s (??)
        Don't mind Brillo - he's got a first class degree in mathematics.

Comment

Hi,

I'm in the running for a 1200chf/day role in Zurich, for 6 months.

I'll still be UK based, but living in a hotel and flying back at weekends to the UK every 3 or 4 weeks to see the family.

Can anyone with Zurich contract experience, tell me what the equivalent UK rate would be?

I'm sure someone mentioned doubling your UK rate for Swiss contracts, extra income tax in CHF and UK, cost of living ect. would this be correct?

back of an envelope figure is fine for now, i.e £500 day charge around 1300chf/day

many thanks in advance
          I am in Zurich at the moment and that is a fantastic rate which most people would bite your hand off to take

The local figures I hear are 800CHF a day so you have landed a good gig from the sounds of it

Things are expensive here for sure but 1300 a day equals 1000 GBP which is outrageous

PM please if you are in finance

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            How many baked potatoes is that?
            You don't have to eat in a posh restaurant in the middle of Zürich, it's no more expensive than London.

I spent 1100 CHF per month on an appartment, and a pizza in the restaurant round the corner for example was 12 CHF.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 24 October 2017, 17:38.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Jack Kada View Post
              I am in Zurich at the moment and that is a fantastic rate which most people would bite your hand off to take

The local figures I hear are 800CHF a day so you have landed a good gig from the sounds of it

Things are expensive here for sure but 1300 a day equals 1000 GBP which is outrageous

PM please if you are in finance
              Yes, no complaints with the headline figure but wanted to compare it with a similar UK rate outside of IR35, its what ends up in the bank account at the end of the tax year that matters.

Not in finance, well, not directly.

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              You don't have to eat in a posh restaurant in the middle of Zürich, it's no more expensive than London.

I spent 1100 CHF per month on an appartment, and a pizza in the restaurant round the corner for example was 12 CHF.
              I'm trying to take home as much as possible, are those expenses allowable before swiss income tax? or do you get a flat rate, read somewhere it was 1500chf per month?

thanks for the info

Comment

Yes, no complaints with the headline figure but wanted to compare it with a similar UK rate outside of IR35, its what ends up in the bank account at the end of the tax year that matters.

Not in finance, well, not directly.

I'm trying to take home as much as possible, are those expenses allowable before swiss income tax? or do you get a flat rate, read somewhere it was 1500chf per month?

thanks for the info
                Like BB said, you can offset 1500CHF per month against tax, ISTR tax is fairly low in CH, depending on Kanton, but it can moan up with health insurance, pension pillars etc.

Remember you'll be liable to UK income tax too, and as Swiss tax is on average lower, you'd pay the difference to HMRC as if the lot was taxed in UK, so that's probs 50% bracket. Rememeber too you'd be advised to employ a tax accountant to sort it all out, tax is taxing.....

1200CHF does seem a lot though, 600-850 seems the norm, what's your skillset?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Like BB said, you can offset 1500CHF per month against tax, ISTR tax is fairly low in CH, depending on Kanton, but it can moan up with health insurance, pension pillars etc.

Remember you'll be liable to UK income tax too, and as Swiss tax is on average lower, you'd pay the difference to HMRC as if the lot was taxed in UK, so that's probs 50% bracket. Rememeber too you'd be advised to employ a tax accountant to sort it all out, tax is taxing.....

1200CHF does seem a lot though, 600-850 seems the norm, what's your skillset?
                  yes, thanks for that, 1500chf, it is then, thanks hmmmmm ..... big tax bill. My field is information assurance.

Comment

yes, thanks for that, 1500chf, it is then, thanks hmmmmm ..... big tax bill. My field is information assurance.
                    you'll have to go local payroll IIRC, and an apartment is a better bet if you have 6+ months guaranteed.
                    if you can live in ZUG and commute (a bit of a pain) you'll pay a lot less tax and SI.
                    SI is the big deduction in CH, and there's a compulsory pension contribution (which you can get back, eventually)

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                      you'll have to go local payroll IIRC, and an apartment is a better bet if you have 6+ months guaranteed.
                      if you can live in ZUG and commute (a bit of a pain) you'll pay a lot less tax and SI.
                      SI is the big deduction in CH, and there's a compulsory pension contribution (which you can get back, eventually)

Not true. I have done the sums and zug is about 3% less in income tax. By the time you add the train ticket the difference is small

Work on the basis you are in Zurich and 30% tax with pension and medical included and you get an idea of take home

You are lucky the sterling is low otherwise this job would not be attractive

Comment

Working...
                      X