Posts 11 to 20 of 59

Double Godlike!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    You need more like CHF1800 for Zurich.

And as the pound continues to tank you will need more.....
    According to XE 1200CHF is £1000 or so - that's well enough int it? Or have I messed up exchange rates, I thought this Russian Hat (ushanka) was £70 in this market in the Urals, it was in fact £7 cos I messed up a simple exchange rate....

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    You need more like CHF1800 for Zurich.

And as the pound continues to tank you will need more.....
    I would get paid by the payroll in CHF, so if GBP falls against CHF, my swiss franc's buys more £'s (??)

Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JSBoy View Post
    I would get paid by the payroll in CHF, so if GBP falls against CHF, my swiss franc's buys more £'s (??)
    Don't mind Brillo - he's got a first class degree in mathematics.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

Still gathering requirements...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi,

I'm in the running for a 1200chf/day role in Zurich, for 6 months.

I'll still be UK based, but living in a hotel and flying back at weekends to the UK every 3 or 4 weeks to see the family.

Can anyone with Zurich contract experience, tell me what the equivalent UK rate would be?

I'm sure someone mentioned doubling your UK rate for Swiss contracts, extra income tax in CHF and UK, cost of living ect. would this be correct?

back of an envelope figure is fine for now, i.e £500 day charge around 1300chf/day

many thanks in advance
    I am in Zurich at the moment and that is a fantastic rate which most people would bite your hand off to take

The local figures I hear are 800CHF a day so you have landed a good gig from the sounds of it

Things are expensive here for sure but 1300 a day equals 1000 GBP which is outrageous

PM please if you are in finance

Double Godlike!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    How many baked potatoes is that?
    You don't have to eat in a posh restaurant in the middle of Zürich, it's no more expensive than London.

I spent 1100 CHF per month on an appartment, and a pizza in the restaurant round the corner for example was 12 CHF.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 24th October 2017 at 17:38.
    Author of the best seller "How to get Poor quickly"

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Jack Kada View Post
    I am in Zurich at the moment and that is a fantastic rate which most people would bite your hand off to take

The local figures I hear are 800CHF a day so you have landed a good gig from the sounds of it

Things are expensive here for sure but 1300 a day equals 1000 GBP which is outrageous

PM please if you are in finance
    Yes, no complaints with the headline figure but wanted to compare it with a similar UK rate outside of IR35, its what ends up in the bank account at the end of the tax year that matters.

Not in finance, well, not directly.

Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    You don't have to eat in a posh restaurant in the middle of Zürich, it's no more expensive than London.

I spent 1100 CHF per month on an appartment, and a pizza in the restaurant round the corner for example was 12 CHF.
    I'm trying to take home as much as possible, are those expenses allowable before swiss income tax? or do you get a flat rate, read somewhere it was 1500chf per month?

thanks for the info

Double Godlike!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, no complaints with the headline figure but wanted to compare it with a similar UK rate outside of IR35, its what ends up in the bank account at the end of the tax year that matters.

Not in finance, well, not directly.

I'm trying to take home as much as possible, are those expenses allowable before swiss income tax? or do you get a flat rate, read somewhere it was 1500chf per month?

thanks for the info
    Like BB said, you can offset 1500CHF per month against tax, ISTR tax is fairly low in CH, depending on Kanton, but it can moan up with health insurance, pension pillars etc.

Remember you'll be liable to UK income tax too, and as Swiss tax is on average lower, you'd pay the difference to HMRC as if the lot was taxed in UK, so that's probs 50% bracket. Rememeber too you'd be advised to employ a tax accountant to sort it all out, tax is taxing.....

1200CHF does seem a lot though, 600-850 seems the norm, what's your skillset?

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by stek View Post
    Like BB said, you can offset 1500CHF per month against tax, ISTR tax is fairly low in CH, depending on Kanton, but it can moan up with health insurance, pension pillars etc.

Remember you'll be liable to UK income tax too, and as Swiss tax is on average lower, you'd pay the difference to HMRC as if the lot was taxed in UK, so that's probs 50% bracket. Rememeber too you'd be advised to employ a tax accountant to sort it all out, tax is taxing.....

1200CHF does seem a lot though, 600-850 seems the norm, what's your skillset?
    yes, thanks for that, 1500chf, it is then, thanks hmmmmm ..... big tax bill. My field is information assurance.

Contractor Among Contractors

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yes, thanks for that, 1500chf, it is then, thanks hmmmmm ..... big tax bill. My field is information assurance.
    you'll have to go local payroll IIRC, and an apartment is a better bet if you have 6+ months guaranteed.
    if you can live in ZUG and commute (a bit of a pain) you'll pay a lot less tax and SI.
    SI is the big deduction in CH, and there's a compulsory pension contribution (which you can get back, eventually)
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

Still gathering requirements...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BR14 View Post
    you'll have to go local payroll IIRC, and an apartment is a better bet if you have 6+ months guaranteed.
    if you can live in ZUG and commute (a bit of a pain) you'll pay a lot less tax and SI.
    SI is the big deduction in CH, and there's a compulsory pension contribution (which you can get back, eventually)

Not true. I have done the sums and zug is about 3% less in income tax. By the time you add the train ticket the difference is small

Work on the basis you are in Zurich and 30% tax with pension and medical included and you get an idea of take home

You are lucky the sterling is low otherwise this job would not be attractive

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast