• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another 2 year expenses question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I got the grey area bit from one of those talks given by some contractor accountancy firm. I can't remember which one as it was a while ago. They also claimed you could make a number (the exact number escapes me as I considered it to be BS) of £75 gifts to yourself (in addition to the annual £150 staff entertainment allowance), which I never fathomed where the hell they got that from.

It seems logical that all expenses have to pass the wholly and necessary test, and eating as a general activity doesn't fall within that. I think it's more the difference between expenses that do/don't need to be declared on your P11d rather than whether or not you can put them through YourCo. AIUI you can put whatever you like through YourCo, just be prepared to answer any questions and cough up if Hector disagrees with the tax treatment you apply.
    What you need to report on the P11d changed this year - linky
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      There are certain things e.g. vending machines where you can't get a receipt so this is what the £5 is for.
      I asked my accountant today who confirmed that I can claim the £5 a night. He did suggest that I don't backdate into any earlier years just the current year.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        It seems logical that all expenses have to pass the wholly and necessary test, and eating as a general activity doesn't fall within that.
        Unless there's an exemption. Eating is classed as an exemption when part of business travel (eg. when you stay away overnight)
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          I asked my accountant today who confirmed that I can claim the £5 a night. He did suggest that I don't backdate into any earlier years just the current year.
          Nice that we have to do the accountant's job for him.

That reminds me I need to check I've claimed my £5s.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            Send an invoice to the old accountants for £5 a night you couldn't claim because if their poor advice and another to the new accountant for the all £5 a night you haven't claimed becasue they didn't spot it and tell you.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Wow, thanks for all your input, I didn't expect so many responses.

So to summarise:
              I can claim for the journeys to the 2 other locations?
              I can claim food ( or can I still claim subsitance ?) when working away regardless of location?

Even though it was coming direct out of the business account, when working at my contractual location:
              I can't buy the train tickets through the business?
              I can't pay for the accommodation through the business?

Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by icemancomeths View Post

So to summarise:
                I can claim food ( or can I still claim subsitance ?) when working away regardless of location?

Even though it was coming direct out of the business account, when working at my contractual location:

Many thanks
                I suggest you read through the thread again. You really must understand your situation yourself. Also you can clarify your understanding with your accountant.

Comment

What you're forgetting is that this is about tax relief, not personal expenditure. If the 24 month rule applies (as it does for Bristol), you can pay for things like always, but they are treated as a BIK so you don't get the tax back. Doesn't really matter who pays for it, it's a benefit to you so is treated as taxable income, even if you don't actually touch the money yourself. That's what the P11d is for. I've always put all business expense through the company and can't remember the last time I put in an expense claim.

As has been said, go back to the guides, on here and on the IPSE website, and start reading. What else don't you understand?
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by icemancomeths View Post

So to summarise:

Many thanks
                    It's not hard to work out. You've been given plenty of links and even the one to the HMRC page which has it all there. Time for you to do some thinking now.

Try and understand the root of the rule. The difference between a temporary and permanent location and not only will you understand your question but you will have learned something.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      It's not hard to work out. You've been given plenty of links and even the one to the HMRC page which has it all there. Time for you to do some thinking now.

Try and understand the root of the rule. The difference between a temporary and permanent location and not only will you understand your question but you will have learned something.
                      Or the OP could ask your accountant?

Comment

Working...
                      X