• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Disputed invoice - any advise appreciated

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disputed invoice - any advise appreciated

Hi,

I am dealing with a disputed invoice with a client and would appreciate any advise.
    Client during my involvement with the project has been very happy with work delivered and given lots of positive feedback, but due to a number of reasons i made the decision to terminate the contract, i gave the client a number of options 1) either to discuss and change working process on the project and come to an agreement on how we can work more productively as it was very poorly managed 2) for me to terminate my contract and do the 1 month notice period 3) or if they prefer for me to terminate and not do the notice period.
    Client went quiet for a few weeks and then when i invoiced for work delivered the previous month, they refused payment as they felt now all the consultancy work i did was useless in their opinion and they were basically unhappy about me leaving. I explained i was happy to discuss a new working arrangement so we can work better together but they turned down any suggestions or ignored them. Of course i disagree that the work is unusable, as all the work i did helped them in making a lot of development decisions and could easily be handed over to another consultant to continue the project. Also, nothing in the contract mentions having to be involved till the over all project is delivered/launched as it's a consultancy role.

Has anyone experienced something like this? What do you suggest are next steps? I feel i met my contractual obligations and was more than happy to finish off any work over the notice period, but they have refused everything i suggested.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Contractor UK 82; 19 October 2017, 10:26.

What does your contract say about conditions of payment? Usually it's based on a signed timesheet. If there are no other clauses and they have signed the timesheets, they have no basis to withhold payment.

You've not mentioned agent.. is this direct with client?

Comment

It's direct with client and there's a contract in place to pay within 30 days which it has now gone over.
      Delayed invoices are fine and something that i am used to , but this one they're refusing to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor UK 82 View Post
        It's direct with client and there's a contract in place to pay within 30 days which it has now gone over.
        Delayed invoices are fine and something that i am used to , but this one they're refusing to pay.
        But what does the contract say about performing the work and what are the conditions of payment?

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
          But what does the contract say about performing the work and what are the conditions of payment?
          Contract states providing consultancy work and advising in the development of a new online system.

Regarding payment it simply states the daily day rate which to be 'paid per day worked upon receipt of a monthly invoice to settle (30 days net).'

Comment

It's ADVICE you want. Not advise...

HTH
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              It's ADVICE you want. Not advise...

HTH
              I did wonder about that as soon as i submitted it actually! thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor UK 82 View Post
                Contract states providing consultancy work and advising in the development of a new online system.

Regarding payment it simply states the daily day rate which to be 'paid per day worked upon receipt of a monthly invoice to settle (30 days net).'
                It seems like there should be more than this...

Comment

Based on your side of the story I’d say you’ve been perfectly reasonable and professional and given the client options.

If they’d rather you had not worked the notice period then they should have exercised that option. Presumably they didn’t as they didn’t want to be left in the lurch so they can’t have their cake and eat t. You should be paid for the work you have done.

It doesn’t sound like they dispute that the work was done but if they claim it’s not up to standard then they are going to need to give you evidence of that and give you the opportunity to rectify it.

As it sounds like the relationship has broken down anyway I would be sending a final email reminder that the payment is overdue and if it remains unpaid then you will start adding interest and if it still remains unpaid then you will have no choice but to pursue it further, at which point get in touch with somebody like Safe Collections (it might even be worth contacting them now).

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
                    It seems like there should be more than this...
                    It's a very basic contract. I actually suggested amends to add some more into it but those were refused at the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X