• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying out of handcuff clause

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying out of handcuff clause

Thanks, now let this die
    Last edited by Robinho; 19 October 2017, 14:59.

You have no contractual relationship with the client so let them and the agency work it out. If it's a reasonable sized account the client should be able to strong arm the agency in to letting it go in individual cases.

There is the argument 12 month is too general to stick but in a case like this where it's a given the agency can prove loss its too weak an argument to persue.

Watch your IR35 status if it's a long term arrangement and you are talking perks. Worth spending some time and money getting it covered properly.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ok, i guess it's just down to their negotiating skillz at the end of the day.

Comment

What perks? Sick pay? holiday pay? Pension?

Just go there as a permie and then the handcuff clause won't apply. Or the agent can just get the standard finders fee for a permie.

Comment

Nah not permie perks like that, more around total hours/location flexibility.
          Last edited by administrator; 19 October 2017, 12:27.

Comment

In this particular case I think the agency has a good case to enforce the handcuff clause. Often agencies don't pursue it. If you are unsure I would take legal advice. Probably inform the client that they should do a deal with the agency.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
              Nah not permie perks like that, more around total hours/location flexibility.
              Why can't you do that with the agency contract?
              Last edited by administrator; 19 October 2017, 12:28.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What have the client said about the agency? They have a contract that they must abide by. Are they telling you to buy yourself out?

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                  Any tips?

Client and I want me to go direct on a long term arrangement, trading a bit of pay for some amazing perks.

But that is only cost effective long term if we cut out the agency out, and they currently have 12 months handcuff.

So what's the best approach, just ask straight up? Anyone done this before?
                  JFDI and keep your mouth shut.

Comment

Did you opt out? I seem to remember this is relevant, but perhaps someone who actually knows could give a more informed view.

Comment

Working...
                    X