• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Training offshore resources

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training offshore resources

Another option is to tell the client that you’re not qualified to teach/train and aren’t willing to do an unprofessional job.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I wouldn't consider them as competition - but training and supporting offshore teams can be soul destroying. As others have said try and escape asap - you'll thank as for that advice long term....
      Why soul-destroying? Any contract could eventually be soul-destroying and we need to be prepared for it.

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
      I'm like you in a field of dev with loads of opportunities. I begin to limit my exposure to a project as soon as offshore training becomes a part of it. Not worth my time when I could be on the same rate elsewhere actually building something.
      This is a reasonable reason. I know people that just don't like to give trainings.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
        Why soul-destroying? Any contract could eventually be soul-destroying and we need to be prepared for it.
        I assume you don't work closely with cheap offshore resources then?

This is a reasonable reason. I know people that just don't like to give trainings.
        You did that on purposed didn't you
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I understand your point but it's not the right direction.

If the OP refuses to train the team, the client will find another resource to train them. If there is a lot of work in the field I don't see an option that will put the OP in a bad position and lose the client possibility forever.

The better option for this would be increasing the rate, not the double but a good percentage depending if is long or short-term training.

If you have afraid of the competition be the best at it.
          Let the client find someone else to do the training.

What I've observed working with off-shore resources in certain countries as soon as the intelligent ones grasp what they have to do, they are off somewhere else to get better pay leaving you with the idiots to deal with. Then the client gets fed up of the work being broken due to the continual change in personnel so dumps them for another out sourcer.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

What I've observed working with off-shore resources in certain countries as soon as the intelligent ones grasp what they have to do, they are off somewhere else to get better pay leaving you with the idiots to deal with. Then the client gets fed up of the work being broken due to the continual change in personnel so dumps them for another out sourcer.
            We don't know the details of the offshore team, and we don't need to be a racist bigot here.

Comment

We don't know the details of the offshore team, and we don't need to be a racist bigot here.
              I don't think she's being racist. Just pointing out some people with English as a second language and are thick as mince are mind numbingly tedious to deal with. A point you are backing up admirably I may add.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I deliberately didn't mention any countries by name so any bigoted views are in your own mind.

Comment

This would specifically be training, not just handover of the work I've done, as the skills to work in the product require some knowledge of the business area and extensive product knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

And after you’ve trained them and they are still tulip who’s at fault? The outsourcer will blame the training.
                    TCS always have a reason for being tulip and it’s never TCS’s fault.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      And after you’ve trained them and they are still tulip who’s at fault? The outsourcer will blame the training.
                      TCS always have a reason for being tulip and it’s never TCS’s fault.
                      The best is when everything is documented but they don't read the documents.

They do something wrong and you can go "It's on page X of the document. "

Comment

Working...
                      X