• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Renewal Time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
    However; my end date is November 3rd and there's no paperwork on my desk (or in my inbox..) to sign yet.
    I personally think you're a bit early to be expecting something to sign, or be in yr in box. I'm sure both client & agency are dealing with this. Your renewal paperwork isn't a cat 1 priority [your continued placement is probably well assured in their opinion], placing other contractors is their focus.

Just to put into context, one client repeatedly left it [literally] to the last hour before I got any paperwork in my in-box. Drove me and the agency to distraction. By the 3rd time it happened, I was sort of expecting it to be late. On the 4th occasion they dbl-sixed me & it came early. Probably good idea to keep looking/keep options open, but no reason to panic imho. 3rd Nov is miles away in their eyes.
    Clarity is everything

Comment

I'm the only contractor here in an office that frankly, isn't all that busy - the IT manager here has no other hiring requirements at the moment either.

If something comes along (actually had a call just now to book a telephone interview early next week) before the contract is landed and its a better opportunity - go for that!? Or is it better to have that first gig extended on my CV?

Comment

I'm the only contractor here in an office that frankly, isn't all that busy - the IT manager here has no other hiring requirements at the moment either.

If something comes along (actually had a call just now to book a telephone interview early next week) before the contract is landed and its a better opportunity - go for that!? Or is it better to have that first gig extended on my CV?
        As mentioned lots on here, stay with them if it's going well. It's not uncommon for contract renewals to go down to the last day (or later). Sometimes the manager has to jump through a lot of tulip to get a purchase order through finance (I know first hand).

If they have said they want to renew, and there is work, and it seems more likely they will actually renew than not, I'd say keep an eye out for opportunities but plan A should be to renew.

Comment

How big is your war chest?
          How confident are you that any potential other contract will allow you to build the war chest you desire?
          Personally I'd stick around if I'm adding value (MoO and SDC issues notwithstanding). But I'd also keep looking until I have an extension signed.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Thanks both.

War chest is not plentiful but will see me through a small amount of bench time. Day rate here is nowhere near what I know I am worth but, I took this as an opportunity to get on the contracting ladder - I had very valid reasons at the time to do with notice periods at my prior permie gig going from one to three months - notice had been an issue with other opportunities.

There's definitely work here - it's not as busy as I would like but they simply don't have the skills / people with the drive in house to push projects over the line.

I think this is why I am a little bit hesitant about renewal - I know there are better gigs but I also respect that I've not been at this for long and that my warchest isn't where it needs to be in order to properly play hardball. Equally I know I could get to gig number two and then have them let me go just before Christmas if it doesn't pan out for whatever reason. Pros and cons I guess...

Will take the general advice here and casually look, make sure my CV's are all up to date etc. but not actively apply and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Definetly.
              Defiantly

Ftfy
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

How confident are you that they will renew? If totally confident, you have to be prepared to turn down the renewal if you get offered a new gig. I had to do it once and it was not pleasant.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Well, that's come around quickly; my first contract is almost done and I've been asked by the end client to renew. Discussed with the agency, tried (and failed) to negotiate a little rate increase, but that wasn't unexpected due to a lack of leverage.

However; my end date is November 3rd and there's no paperwork on my desk (or in my inbox..) to sign yet. I've been speaking with other agents about a handful of roles and made a couple of submissions - no interview requests yet but submissions were last week. I'm thinking that maybe I should be actively looking and submitting for roles until I have a renewal signed and agreed - am I right in thinking that?

Thanks in advance.
                  Editing your LinkedIn strapline to include your end date in block caps and allowing it to post the update to your network seems like a popular way to speed the renewal along and / or get contacted about gigs pretty sharpish.

Comment

I would definately be considering other opportunites.

It may be that your client as well as the agency are actually drafting something up as we type, however you dont want to chance being out of contract especially with the run up to Christmas.

Comment

Thanks both.

War chest is not plentiful but will see me through a small amount of bench time. Day rate here is nowhere near what I know I am worth but, I took this as an opportunity to get on the contracting ladder - I had very valid reasons at the time to do with notice periods at my prior permie gig going from one to three months - notice had been an issue with other opportunities.

There's definitely work here - it's not as busy as I would like but they simply don't have the skills / people with the drive in house to push projects over the line.

I think this is why I am a little bit hesitant about renewal - I know there are better gigs but I also respect that I've not been at this for long and that my warchest isn't where it needs to be in order to properly play hardball. Equally I know I could get to gig number two and then have them let me go just before Christmas if it doesn't pan out for whatever reason. Pros and cons I guess...

Will take the general advice here and casually look, make sure my CV's are all up to date etc. but not actively apply and see what happens.

Look for other opportunities then, at the rate you think you should be getting (i.e. significantly higher than you have now), and then when renewal comes up tell them you have another offer at your preferred rate. You'd like to stay but saw this as the initial x/3 month contract and so were happy at the time to take the rate cut. If they are happy to match the rate you'd prefer to stay, etc...

If you don't find a new contract at preferred rate, I'd be tempted to just take the (3 month?) extension without asking for a rise.

But I'm only in my first contract too, so what do I know!!

Comment

Working...
                      X