• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whats the Worst that Can Happen?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should add said business is now drying up, their support / project work clients have all gone elsewhere since the incident, and they've shrunk by about 30% in terms of people with further shrinkage incoming. Can't say i'm at all sad about that.

EDIT: Should also add, very small business, only 20 people in it to begin with when we were there...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Not really. You introduced a risk by having a notice period. The client got a better contractor that could start immediately which was obviously a key requirement. You'd do but not ideal but someone ideal came up.
      We've been saying forever a client waiting for your notice introduces a massive risk and roles can and often do evaporate.
      It's unfortunate but there is a good chance it was going to happen. It wasn't bang out of order.
      You've admitting you blagged the notice period. That's bang in order is it? You can't piss a client around and then complain when you get pissed about back.
      Absolutely nothing to do with dodging a bullet. It's your fault for expecting a client to wait. Period.

And WTF does this brain fart have to do with the OPs question?
      Client knew full well I was on a notice period and, we discussed this on the phone when they offered me the position. We agreed I would go away and try and sort out an end date and get back to them. They said yes this was good because they could wait for 3 weeks max.

They knew full well I was going to my client with this. Fair enough they might have found someone who could start immediately after they spoke to me. Point is 1) Don't go offering and then changing your mind 2) Fair enough requirements change but have the balls to call up the person and let them know.

They probably found someone a few days later and thought OK we'll have him instead because he can start straight away. At no point though, did they phone me and say sorry we need someone to start asap and since you can't do it we'll have to pass. They didnt - they let me continue down the path and then told me when I'd sorted it all out. This is out of order.

OPs original question - I was pointing out that once you go to a client and tell them you want to leave its sometimes final even if the new gig falls through. It was for me pretty much.

(Alls well that ends well though. Client manager in question (via one of the junior managers)phoned me a week after I'd started new gig to ask me if I could come back because they realised they needed to get a project done. Umm no thanks I'm ok here. He was a bit peed off apparently and assumed I'd come back.)
      Last edited by psychocandy; 13 October 2017, 09:56.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

What's the worst that could happen? He could kill you.

https://m.ranker.com/list/bosses-who...ike-rothschild
        Far worse would be taking another role sitting between NLUK and PC......

Comment

Is that the same as don't go signing a contract agreeing to a notice period and then go changing your mind?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Is that the same as don't go signing a contract agreeing to a notice period and then go changing your mind?
            FFS! I started current gig in May. 3 weeks in I got given 4 weeks notice. 2 weeks after that they wanted me back.

As a permie I got made redundant 18 months in. Despite being told my skills were very hard to find when I joined.

I will treat contracts and employers the way they treat me.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              FFS! I started current gig in May. 3 weeks in I got given 4 weeks notice. 2 weeks after that they wanted me back.

As a permie I got made redundant 18 months in. Despite being told my skills were very hard to find when I joined.

I will treat contracts and employers the way they treat me.
              Indeed but it's PCs poor attitude that he calls agents and clients names for doing it to him but think he thinks he's smart and clever when he does it. He just sounds like a moaning permie all the time. It's just business.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMook View Post
                Apologies in advance, am newbie on the forum - though I have visited a couple of times.

So just to outline my current situation, I am working for one of the alleged big 4; from what I've seen they wouldn't be in anyone's Top 100 - complete disarray.
                It initially started out as a 6 month contract (my first contracting gig for 12 years), which has since been extended for another 4 months.

Why I extended, I don't know because I really don't like it there - my manager is an absolute nightmare, micro-manages, is very politically minded, is rude and has the memory of a goldfish; so I'm constantly explaining things over and over again - I'm not exactly doing what I was brought in to do, and they could have gotten someone with less experience to boss about.
                The day rate is good but for me, there has to be more.
                Unfortunately for them, there is nobody else who knows the intricacies of the account as well as I do - that's how this place operates, so I wouldn't really want to conduct a handover, as I never got one when I started.
                Sounds perfect, nothing like client madness to keep a contract going

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMook View Post
                  Apologies in advance, am newbie on the forum - though I have visited a couple of times.

So just to outline my current situation, I am working for one of the alleged big 4; from what I've seen they wouldn't be in anyone's Top 100 - complete disarray.
                  It initially started out as a 6 month contract (my first contracting gig for 12 years), which has since been extended for another 4 months.

Why I extended, I don't know because I really don't like it there - my manager is an absolute nightmare, micro-manages, is very politically minded, is rude and has the memory of a goldfish; so I'm constantly explaining things over and over again - I'm not exactly doing what I was brought in to do, and they could have gotten someone with less experience to boss about.

They don't have a memory of a goldfish they are simply thick.

Hence send them the email as well and tell them politely I sent you an email on x date with the explanation.

I had a PM like that a few years ago. He drove me up the wall so I gave my notice in and helped hire my replacement. I then bumped into my replacement a couple of years back, and had to apologise for dumping them in it as it took them a couple of weeks to work out why I left. They only lasted 3 months as the PM drove them up the wall as well.

Oh and nowadays it is part of your role to share relevant knowledge that way when you do a handover you simply say here are the documents, and persons y and z have been briefed on a and b.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Well if you have a MOO clause in your contract, contractually you are not obliged to accept any work. Whether you have outstanding deliverables is another matter or whether that can be argued.

I do wonder if we are on the same project. Big 4, large project, failing badly????

Comment

Why not exercise your right of substitution and bring in someone who can do the job?
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X