• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hotel costs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotel costs

Hello, I am reviewing my first contract all seems good but one part stands out to me as a potential financial burden. There is a very clear expenses supplement as part of the contract from the client, it states that they will book and pay for flights but they will only book hotels the bill must be settled by me on departure to then claim back on expenses upon my return.

say for example I am required to work overseas for 2 weeks or more a hotel could reasonably cost £100 per night it could be a substantial bill by the end of my stay. how would you normally manage this. as a new ltd. company I wont have any capital for a few months to cover such costs.

really my question is is this a normal arrangement? and how would people normally manage this level of expense? would it be reasonable for me to agree to it but also agree that I wouldnt be required to travel for x months to allow me to build some capital?

Yes. Credit card. It's a business arrangement, do you need to travel to undertake the work?

Comment

Yep fairly normal. Having clients book and pay for hotels or you use their expenses systems are permie perks and could be an IR35 issue for contractors.

Bloody lovely for the credit card points
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
        Yes. Credit card. It's a business arrangement, do you need to travel to undertake the work?
        I'm following that exact same policy at the moment and use a personal credit card for any expenses. My company than pays me the expenses to pay the credit card bill off and invoices the customer...

If your company nor yourself hasn't got any money to pay the credit card bill just swallow the cost of a month or 2 of interest until your expenses are paid...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I keep seeing that ad for the BA Amex card. Silly APR but WGAF if you pay it off every month. Currently using a combination of 1.25% cashback Amex platinum and a 0% purchases (until 2020) Visa and putting the money to pay it off into four or five 5% regular savers. Might brave the Bitcoin for some stoozing too.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            If your company nor yourself hasn't got any money to pay the credit card bill just swallow the cost of a month or 2 of interest until your expenses are paid including claiming the interest incurred out of your own company to deduct against tax
            FTFY

Comment

And don't forget to add on your VAT when you invoice for the expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
                FTFY
                I was going to say that but I not sure of what you could and couldn't sensible claim from the company so didn't want to say it out loud before checking...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Himitsu View Post
                  Hello, I am reviewing my first contract all seems good but one part stands out to me as a potential financial burden. There is a very clear expenses supplement as part of the contract from the client, it states that they will book and pay for flights but they will only book hotels the bill must be settled by me on departure to then claim back on expenses upon my return.

say for example I am required to work overseas for 2 weeks or more a hotel could reasonably cost £100 per night it could be a substantial bill by the end of my stay. how would you normally manage this. as a new ltd. company I wont have any capital for a few months to cover such costs.

really my question is is this a normal arrangement? and how would people normally manage this level of expense? would it be reasonable for me to agree to it but also agree that I wouldnt be required to travel for x months to allow me to build some capital?
                  Where would you be working? Do you have a visa if not/non EU?

Comment

Don't forget hotels.com for accumulating free nights to spend yourself, but make sure you get a tax receipt from the hotel as they won't give you one.

Comment

Working...
                    X