• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doing odd jobs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing odd jobs?

This may sound like a daft question. I have a limited VAT registered business doing management work for several days a week which is generally sufficient for my purposes being semi-retired. Can I put unrelated jobs through the business? By way of example only, I agree to paint a friend's flat at a market rate of say £1,000 plus VAT. I buy the paint and complete the work and invoice just as I would for higher calibre management work. Now being just a bit silly, my wife (director and employee) agrees to walk a neighbour's dog each day for £10 plus VAT. I then decide to buy and resell a piece of antique furniture. I am not suggesting anything contrived. Would it be acceptable to use the business for such purposes?

Originally posted by Sterling View Post
    This may sound like a daft question. I have a limited VAT registered business doing management work for several days a week which is generally sufficient for my purposes being semi-retired. Can I put unrelated jobs through the business? By way of example only, I agree to paint a friend's flat at a market rate of say £1,000 plus VAT. I buy the paint and complete the work and invoice just as I would for higher calibre management work. Now being just a bit silly, my wife (director and employee) agrees to walk a neighbour's dog each day for £10 plus VAT. I then decide to buy and resell a piece of antique furniture. I am not suggesting anything contrived. Would it be acceptable to use the business for such purposes?
    I was about to suggest what I would do but I know it makes me a "bad citizen"
    Last edited by Big Blue Plymouth; 11 October 2017, 17:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
      I know this makes me a "bad citizen" but cash in hand, Shirley?
      Not as bad as I am.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Not as bad as I am.
        Oops you beat me to it.

Comment

Turn the dog into mince and call it shauny?

Comment

Ok, I had good reason for asking the question. Perhaps my illustrations were poor.

Comment

Don't bother. I'll seek advice and assistance elsewhere.

Comment

What is the SIC code for your LTD?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes, you can use your business for whatever you like.

When you submit your annual return, you can include multiple SIC codes.

Where it gets more complicates is with flat rate vat, so if yourCo is on FRVS, talk to your accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Yes, you can use your business for whatever you like.

When you submit your annual return, you can include multiple SIC codes.

Where it gets more complicates is with flat rate vat, so if yourCo is on FRVS, talk to your accountant.
                    You might also check your insurances cover dog walking. And having to add VAT on a B2C sale may make you uncompetitive.
                    Last edited by northernladyuk; 12 October 2017, 06:40.

Comment

Working...
                    X