• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doing odd jobs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only worth putting through Ltd if the job incurs expenses or capital outlay for tools etc that can be re-imbursed or offset against tax?

Otherwise do privately and if your conscience dictates, declare cash in hand jobs on self assessment, like all those landlords, car booters, and ebay sellers 'do'.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

You can choose to do odd jobs as self-employed or through your LTD.

I’d do it personally and trouser the cash. You could put it on your self assessment if you want to be honest.
      Doing it via LTD would just be a PIA
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        What is the SIC code for your LTD?
        Thank you for your response. My SIC code is 70221, Financial Management.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling View Post
          Thank you for your response. My SIC code is 70221, Financial Management.
          That's interesting. Most of us are in IT on here. What do you manage?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            You can choose to do odd jobs as self-employed or through your LTD.

I’d do it personally and trouser the cash. You could put it on your self assessment if you want to be honest.
            Doing it via LTD would just be a PIA and would add VAT onto your price.
            FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Yes, you can use your business for whatever you like.

When you submit your annual return, you can include multiple SIC codes.

Where it gets more complicates is with flat rate vat, so if yourCo is on FRVS, talk to your accountant.
              Thank you for your kind response. I am not on flat rate scheme.

To put matters in perspective (and moving beyond my examples which were just there to explore possibilities), my elderly mother lives in a retirement apartment which is owned by a trust rather than her. The trust will pay for maintenance work on the fabric of the flat. I couldn't work cash in hand for the trust given that some business formality is required. The flat is cluttered with antique furniture and many items mounted on the walls and would not be an easy decorating job. If I quote the trust for the work and do the work myself that is less stressful for my mother, the trust has its apartment made good, and I get paid for my work. Whereas other posters would do the work cash-in-hand to circumvent tax, I would achieve much the same end legally by flushing the earnings through my pension.

Perhaps there could be an issue with my SIC code being restrictive.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                That's interesting. Most of us are in IT on here. What do you manage?
                Yes, I'm not IT. I negotiate commercial engineering contracts for clients.

Comment

Perhaps there could be an issue with my SIC code being restrictive.
                  I don't believe so - the SIC code is just for statistics. Just include the additional SIC code on your annual return if the work is significant.

Worth checking with your accountant.

Comment

Don't bother. I'll seek advice and assistance elsewhere.
                    It's a shame that this has come to seem the most reasonable eventual reaction of anybody asking a question on these forums.

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                      It's a shame that this has come to seem the most reasonable eventual reaction of anybody asking a question on these forums.

Boo
                      I can't see why the OP would say that. He wasn't flamed or ridiculed. He also continued posting.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X