• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dipping my toes in IT Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
    Ignore the usual idiots on here who want to try and make themselves look clever by pulling you for a couple of grammar mistakes.

As someone who reviews CVs I can tell you that only an idiot ignores grammar mistakes.
    If you have a lot of CVs to shortlist, spelling and grammar mistakes provide an easy shortcut to the bin.
    They demonstrate a lack of attention to detail.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I’d say 450 is on the high side for a DBA looking for a first contract. 350 is low.
      As you have nothing to lose stick it out for the highest you can get.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        As someone who reviews CVs I can tell you that only an idiot ignores grammar mistakes.
        If you have a lot of CVs to shortlist, spelling and grammar mistakes provide an easy shortcut to the bin.
        Don't you pay more attention to writing your CV, than you do to writing a forum post?

Comment

[LANCE] No no. What I really mean is... As someone who reviews CVs I can tell you it's acceptable to ignore grammar mistakes.
          If you have a lot of CVs to shortlist, spelling and grammar mistakes are irrelevant.
          They demonstrate creativity thinking and non conformity. .[/Lance]

Posting on behalf of Lance to save him sometime.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

For what it's worth, I typed the original message, ran it through a spell checker, cast my eye over it quickly then posted it. This is not a CV. If you want to focus on a spelling or grammar mistakes on a forum post rather than the content that is your prerogative. I appreciate your feedback though.

Thanks for the daily rate advice. I'd originally put myself at the £400 per day bracket but I'll push a little higher to see what comes of it.

@Washed Up Contractor @Ladymuck @I35Kee @SueEllen @fidot
            My permanent job involves quite a bit of travel so I guess I'm used to it, although ideally I'd like to spend more time closer to home. I do like the idea of earning enough to take a few weeks off between contracts. Would it be fair to say that most IT companies will allow contractors to work a day per week from home?

Comment

Originally posted by LAPORTS123 View Post
              For what it's worth, I typed the original message, ran it through a spell checker, cast my eye over it quickly then posted it. This is not a CV. If you want to focus on a spelling or grammar mistakes on a forum post rather than the content that is your prerogative. I appreciate your feedback though.

Thanks for the daily rate advice. I'd originally put myself at the £400 per day bracket but I'll push a little higher to see what comes of it.

@Washed Up Contractor @Ladymuck @I35Kee @SueEllen @fidot
              My permanent job involves quite a bit of travel so I guess I'm used to it, although ideally I'd like to spend more time closer to home. I do like the idea of earning enough to take a few weeks off between contracts. Would it be fair to say that most IT companies will allow contractors to work a day per week from home?
              The work from home is very variable - don't assume 1 day per week is a norm. Some contractors negotiate it up front, and if it's not going to be bearable without 1 day from home, then you need to do that. Others get their feet under the table, demonstrate capability and trust and then negotiate, but if you then find out it's not possible and it matters to you, you're a bit stuck. You can usually sound out the agency or client up front about their attitude to working at home.

I tend to save up pieces of work where I don't want to be disturbed and don't need input from colleagues (e.g. document writing) and then do that at home - for me it's easier to give a business justification around that than a regular one day per week schedule. I have had gigs that are almost entirely at home.

The sector is probably relevant as well. I work in areas that don't take security seriously for (most of) the type of work I do.

Comment

In answer to your last question, not in my experience. None of my clients have ever allowed this although the occasional day has been negotiated.

Comment

Would it be fair to say that most IT companies will allow contractors to work a day per week from home?
                  Each company is different.

I have had clients who will only let you work from home if you are sick but not to sick to work and got appointments in the day e.g. doctors, plumbers, clients who won't let you work at home at all, clients who do the one/two day from home a week thing and clients who do 80-95% work at home.

With clients who let you work from home unlike when you are permie you have to be:
                  1. Completely contactable during working hours on the phone and online chat thing they use - this means no noisy kids, dogs, birds, cats etc in the background, and
                  2. Actually be seen to produce tangible results.

The reason they allow you to work at home is because it saves office space and if you have to work with overseas people then it doesn't matter where you are.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks All,
                    The working from home is not a deal breaker by any means, just something I thought was routine within the IT industry.

From time to time, I would bring in contractors in my permanent role. Generally speaking I didn't have a problem with them working from home one day per week provided they had good references and produced decent results. I guess it varies from contract to contract but worth asking at the outset.

Comment

Thanks All,
                      The working from home is not a deal breaker by any means, just something I thought was routine within the IT industry.

From time to time, I would bring in contractors in my permanent role. Generally speaking I didn't have a problem with them working from home one day per week provided they had good references and produced decent results. I guess it varies from contract to contract but worth asking at the outset.
                      Be careful how you ask otherwise you find yourself without a contract.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X