• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Three (!) week Christmas contractor furlough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humbug!! Any day off is a lost earning opportunity. Makes me laugh when 'Good Friday' comes around. What's so good about it? It's costing me money!! I think I managed to bill for all the bank holidays this year thus far. And Saturdays for the first 7 months. Even got away with last Xmas's contractor furlough :-D I'm anticipating that won't be the case this year, assuming I'm extended.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
      Humbug!! Any day off is a lost earning opportunity. Makes me laugh when 'Good Friday' comes around. What's so good about it? It's costing me money!! I think I managed to bill for all the bank holidays this year thus far. And Saturdays for the first 7 months. Even got away with last Xmas's contractor furlough :-D I'm anticipating that won't be the case this year, assuming I'm extended.
      Dude - try living your life instead. Make hay while the sun shines is reasonable, but I know way too many people taken too young to dedicate my entire life to work.

Comment

Wow.

"I wish I spent more time at work" said no-one on their death bed ever.

Unless you're living in fear of eviction because you have a really bad coke and gambling habit, you're going to work yourself into an early grave.

Comment

Big tick in the anti IR35 box surly ?

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
            Big tick in the anti IR35 box surly ?
            Yeah but there's nicer ways to be compliant

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Wow.

Unless you're living in fear of eviction because you have a really bad coke and gambling habit, you're going to work yourself into an early grave.
              I reckon you age 1.5 days every day you work on site, 1 day every day you work at home and 0.5 days every day you don't work. I like to break even over a year.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Wow.

I will. Especially during the 2 wedding ceremonies.

Comment

And you point out to permies in leap years that you get paid to work the 29th February, and they don't.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    And you point out to permies in leap years that you get paid to work the 29th February, and they don't.
                    That would be very churlish. I buy them a dog chew each to show solidarity.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      You should be able to but one of the perks of being a contractor is also deciding when you work, not being told. It's tantamount to a 6% pay cut over the year if you were planning to work those weeks, and that's not something one wants to hear - especially if they only tell you shortly before.
                      If you tell your client "by the way I won't be here in June" only a few weeks beforehand they likely would consider that a bit unprofessional.
                      Nope, hear\see this type of comment quite often.

The perk of being a contractor is picking what contract you want and when you want it (if you get that choice), BUT once you're in contract you're providing a service and you need to work with the client in providing that.

Comment

Working...
                      X