• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Three (!) week Christmas contractor furlough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You should be able to but one of the perks of being a contractor is also deciding when you work, not being told. It's tantamount to a 6% pay cut over the year if you were planning to work those weeks, and that's not something one wants to hear - especially if they only tell you shortly before.
    If you tell your client "by the way I won't be here in June" only a few weeks beforehand they likely would consider that a bit unprofessional.
    But it's also about knowing your client and your business. If you work for a retail or banking client for example, and you don't factor in downtime over Xmas you deserve to be disappointed.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ah, well. I’ll know better in future.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Another Americanism.
        Comes from the Dutch word "verlof" which means leave, but mostly used when taking leave when you are in the army or police

Comment

Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
          I can remember the old time contractors I worked with back in the 90's all used to go off to the Bahamas / Caribbean for Xmas.

Take a leaf out of their book...

I mean 3 weeks is long enough for a trip to New Zealand - I know what I'd do!

Funny how people think, isn't it. Can't go away for family reasons, but I saw this thread and promptly sent a message to the Mrs saying "Thinking of taking some proper time off over Christmas"

Comment

One of the other contractors just asked for December off. PM laughed in their face. Go live in Feb does that to a person.

I'm thankful. December is when the extended family is all off work too. So I'd much rather be in the office..

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
              One of the other contractors just asked for December off. PM laughed in their face. Go live in Feb does that to a person.

I'm thankful. December is when the extended family is all off work too. So I'd much rather be in the office..
              ASKED??? There’s the problem right there. Don’t ASK a PM permission. Tell them.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                ASKED??? There’s the problem right there. Don’t ASK a PM permission. Tell them.
                "Telling them" you're having a month off 2 months from go live may result in them "telling you" not to come back at all, suppose it depends how much you need/want the money

Comment

2 weeks off over Xmas, its a given with me.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    No problem with that. How many days can contractors bill for?
                    Funnily enough that was what I said in the team meeting. Fortunately, the manager is a friend and just laughed at me. I said if the four billable days were enforced, I would just take the whole month off.

It does frustrate the bejeesus out of me that the banks have this year end budget balancing angst and demand all stinky contractors to down tools irrespective of the knock on impact to their projects. In some roles, enforcing leave is necessary from a compliance angle as that's when some dodgy practices come to light. However, I am ususally more than happy to take leave, and lengthy leave at that, but do prefer to choose when I take it.

This year, moot point. Off to sunny Australia and won't be back until mid-January. Booked before I started the gig.

Comment

4 week shutdown at the UK FS co where I work. Taking an extra week off, 1 week working from home both sides, 7 weeks with the family. Can't wait.
                      ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Working...
                      X