• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Three (!) week Christmas contractor furlough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Dude - try living your life instead. Make hay while the sun shines is reasonable, but I know way too many people taken too young to dedicate my entire life to work.
    Each to their own I suppose, but we don't know the financial circumstances of the OP - If he was on a 3 month contract covering December, then in reality he's suddenly on a 2 and a bit one - makes a big difference if you are coming back from a longish period of bench time.

I tend to budget for 2 weeks off. It would annoy me also if the client had decided I was taking 3!
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
      "Telling them" you're having a month off 2 months from go live may result in them "telling you" not to come back at all, suppose it depends how much you need/want the money
      Then don’t ask/tell for something completely unreasonable. You plan your unavailability so it doesn’t impact the project deadlines.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Always strikes me as a bit penny pinching when clients do this. I've had it once or twice and it is a little annoying...

As I'm sure I've said before, I was on a project at one client that was due to go live in feb. It was behind. Out of the blue - all contractors had to take time off over xmas. Nuts. I argued but the response was tough luck.

First week back PM gave everyone a pep talk about how he expected us to "put the effort in" to get it back on track. i.e. work longer hours.

Sod that. There was no way I was getting unpaid in december and then working these hours for free on top in jan. Luckily, everyone else felt the same and guess what it was late. Client lost money etc I think - they never learn.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
          One of the other contractors just asked for December off. PM laughed in their face. Go live in Feb does that to a person.

I'm thankful. December is when the extended family is all off work too. So I'd much rather be in the office..
          Originally posted by Lance View Post
          ASKED??? There’s the problem right there. Don’t ASK a PM permission. Tell them.
          "Telling them" you're having a month off 2 months from go live may result in them "telling you" not to come back at all, suppose it depends how much you need/want the money
          Then don’t ask/tell for something completely unreasonable. You plan your unavailability so it doesn’t impact the project deadlines.
          lol - you've changed your tune

Comment

lol - you've changed your tune
            Not really. I’d still not ask. I’d just not drop the project in the tulip in the first place.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Always strikes me as a bit penny pinching when clients do this. I've had it once or twice and it is a little annoying...
              It is penny pinching for NMW BAU monkeys, but for B2B expert contractors the costs mount up in a relatively unproductive time of year.

As I'm sure I've said before, I was on a project at one client that was due to go live in feb. It was behind. Out of the blue - all contractors had to take time off over xmas. Nuts. I argued but the response was tough luck.

First week back PM gave everyone a pep talk about how he expected us to "put the effort in" to get it back on track. i.e. work longer hours.

Sod that. There was no way I was getting unpaid in december and then working these hours for free on top in jan. Luckily, everyone else felt the same and guess what it was late. Client lost money etc I think - they never learn.
              You're right there.

Comment

That takes some balls to ask that.

As I said, I am very happy to take the time off, but in that situation I would be less than impressed.

Comment

That's because you don't understand your clients and their business.
                  But you said he gave everyone a pep talk. Not just you. Just don't be so precious.

It's not about the money. Refer to my first point.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Quite a few clients I've had I've looked at the project plan and planned my time off around that.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You know if you stopped wasting time on here, gossiping, surfing the web etc and just having short breaks throughout the day to get a drink, go to the toilet and go to lunch then you won't have to work longer hours.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X