• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What stationery (documents, templates, etc)?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What stationery (documents, templates, etc)?

I'm planning ahead a little to moving into contracting and looking mainly at the limited company route.

I've registered a company, got the web accounts sorted, and opening a business account in a week or so.

One thing I'm unsure of is exactly what documents I need. I've read a fair bit online and taking in as much advice as I can. I can do accounts and ledgers, am getting a template contract looked at that I can amend as needed, and know that I'll need to invoice, which I'm sure I can manage!

I feel like I might be missing something obvious though? Are there any key documents I'm missing? Ignoring things like 'friendly reminder' templates for overdue payments - they're just letters really.

Get yourself a contract and get that contract reviewed.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Invoice template needs to contain specific information

https://www.gov.uk/invoicing-and-tak...y-must-include

Other than that, you don't need special templates

Getting a contract is your primary concern.

Comment

Get an accountant who offers Freeagent and a lot of the stuff you need is provided.

and join IPSE. They will provide all your contract needs. Bear in mind that if you're going via agents to get a contract they'll provide that for you, so all you'll need to do is have it reviewed.

And you'll need some insurance. At the very least Professional Indemnity and Public Liability.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I had to create a remittance advice template this week for the first time since I started contracting - I wouldn't worry about templates and things like that (beyond an invoice) until you need one.

For invoice reminders, I just print the same one again but with a big red "OVERDUE" printed on it as well.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Postage stamps. Not even joking; first time i'd ever had to buy them - always pinched them from the accountants at old work places before.

MS Word has an invoice template you can use and customise if you feel you need it; you'll only need that if going direct to customer or doing some on the side work outside of contract.

For overdue invoices I just send a polite email asking to pay and include the invoice reference.

Other than that OP just focus on getting a contract!

Comment

Working...
            X