• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there life in Newcastle?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there life in Newcastle?

I am a Londoner - working, predictably, in financial-services IT (I hate the grandiose "data science") - whose wife got a good academic job in Newcastle. There are thoughts of relocation, but searches on Jobsite and EFinancialCareers (I use "sql" as the search keyword) come up nearly empty. Newcastle-based contractors: are there any big financial employers in Newcastle? Do people commute to Edinburgh? Do people commute to London?!

Originally posted by demyan1 View Post
    I am a Londoner - working, predictably, in financial-services IT (I hate the grandiose "data science") - whose wife got a good academic job in Newcastle. There are thoughts of relocation, but searches on Jobsite and EFinancialCareers (I use "sql" as the search keyword) come up nearly empty. Newcastle-based contractors: are there any big financial employers in Newcastle? Do people commute to Edinburgh? Do people commute to London?!
    No

DWP and HMRC at Longbenton (all will be inside IR35 nowadays) and EDS / HP / HPE / whatever its now called at Silverlink are the main contractor places in the North East. There isn't any financials services really here except for Virgin Bank and Atom..
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

No not really, Newcastle is in the middle of nowhere. Yorkshire is much better.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Virgin money is good. I had a gig there a few years back. I don't see too many contracts going there though. The railway pensions administration people are in Darlington I think, occasional gigs advertised there.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
          Virgin money is good. I had a gig there a few years back. I don't see too many contracts going there though. The railway pensions administration people are in Darlington I think, occasional gigs advertised there.
          RPMI (round the corner from me) are now a TCS stronghold....

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            RPMI (round the corner from me) are now a TCS stronghold....
            Ah...

The pimp who called me about it was a right pita anyway.

Comment

SAGE is in Gosforth
              I've also had contracts at Northern Rock (Virgin Money) and BT
              Last edited by Sausage Surprise; 2 October 2017, 13:18.
              Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                SAGE is in Gosforth
                Sage don't have contractors unless you have a skillset they need which was Ruby on Rails for a while and previously Java... I suspect if you know Apex they may want you but its not often they take contractors...

Decent office though with a nice lunchtime walk route (round the block) if you have something they need.

Comment

There's a number of financial opportunities in and around Newcastle.

You've Virgin Money at Gosforth on the old \ modernised Northern Rock site, Newcastle Building Society and Brewin & Dolphin in the city centre, Sage near Hazelrigg, Atom Bank further out at Durham although contractor opportunities are bordering on few and far between.

Last I heard though Cognizant had become the sole preferred supplier at VM and Brewin & Dolphin positively discourage 'speculative' approaches.

Comment

I think Newcastle is generally a poor location for contractors. For every one gig I hear of there, I hear of 10+ in Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Comment

Working...
                    X