• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruiter Tricks - new one on me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruiter Tricks - new one on me

Hi just landed a new gig start next week. I have been looking for a month after having the summer off. It was quite a hard month having 5 sets of interviews before nailing this one. Still waiting for feedback from two of them

I spoke to my old client, who I get on really well with, as he has left and started a new job just to see how he was.

He told me that he was asked by an agency for a reference on me, this was from an agency that I spoke with briefly about 4 weeks ago and i have not had any interview or even an application through.

I had not given any referees or names. Seems the agency was cold calling my past client and had to track the hiring manager down as he does not work for the last client any more and I never gave them his name or details.

thought this was well out of order....surprised no

That sounds like a lot of effort for an agent to go through. I guess if they're that desperate for leads, they will go to those lengths.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      That sounds like a lot of effort for an agent to go through. I guess if they're that desperate for leads, they will go to those lengths.
      It's called having juniors.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Surprised? Not at all. We have a huge thread on exactly this titled Two References. Standard sales practice by agents. Have a look at that thread and it will explain why and how and what to do to avoid it.

Comment

Originally posted by redman View Post
          Hi just landed a new gig start next week. I have been looking for a month after having the summer off. It was quite a hard month having 5 sets of interviews before nailing this one. Still waiting for feedback from two of them

I spoke to my old client, who I get on really well with, as he has left and started a new job just to see how he was.

He told me that he was asked by an agency for a reference on me, this was from an agency that I spoke with briefly about 4 weeks ago and i have not had any interview or even an application through.

I had not given any referees or names. Seems the agency was cold calling my past client and had to track the hiring manager down as he does not work for the last client any more and I never gave them his name or details.

thought this was well out of order....surprised no
          It is out of order but agencies do this but only the really bad or frankly mad ones, I was told by a former colleague of a humorous joke played by his friend when he had this done to him that he put down on his CV that his name was Curnal Kadaffy and put a dodgy irish accent on for awhile and the not so bright pack of agents cold called the end clients asking for Curnal Kadaffy.

Comment

TekSystems do this regularly. Recently experienced this where they asked me about a recently moved on contractor. Spoke to him and they had asked him the same about me.

Neither of us were applying for jobs through them.

I'm sure many others do as well.

Comment

Working...
            X