• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boom boom boom sigh.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Don't beat yourself up about the gig. One thing we know as contractors they are generally short term and you are back to square one at the end. If going perm was the right thing to do then focus on that and enjoy it for a bit. You know to soak up as many skills as you can and keep yourself ready to jump back in when the time and family situation is right so make the most of it. If it's a good company you might really enjoy it. Hope it goes well.
    Absolutely, right now perm is the best option by a mile. This last contract has tbh got me out of a bit of a funk, got my mad dev skillz enthusiasm back so that's something.

Attitude right now is if this perm gig works out and is enjoyable, great. If it's boring work, well, needs must at the minute. No point wallowing in frustration, key thing is getting finances back on an even keel.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      I always worry about what I will do with any substantial time off. It's a sad state of affairs because life should not be just about working.

I used to have grandiose plans of travelling and seeing interesting parts of the world.

But I get the feeling I'll be dragged into daily school runs, DIY and cooking dinner for the family
      This completely!!

I'm trying to convince the wife to let me go do the Trail Mont Blanc, instead I am forced to do the daily school run and cooking dinner!

Comment

Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
        This completely!!

I'm trying to convince the wife to let me go do the Trail Mont Blanc, instead I am forced to do the daily school run and cooking dinner!
        Well, life is what you make it. If you must marry some bint and bring some little buggers into the world that's the life you have chosen.
        I look at married couples with kids and just think "sad", just not for me, I like total freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
          Well, life is what you make it. If you must marry some bint and bring some little buggers into the world that's the life you have chosen.
          I look at married couples with kids and just think "sad", just not for me, I like total freedom.
          You might not feel that way when you get older.

I might dream of what "might have been" but mostly it's just fragments of memories from my youth fighting through.

Now, every day I come home to what might look like the tail end of a frat house party but my kids hear me come in, run up to me and give me hugs and suddenly the world's worries disappear and nothing else matters except knowing that everything you ever wanted was really what you have right here and now.

Comment

If that works for you, fine, but some of us aren't virgins...

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
              If that works for you, fine, but some of us aren't virgins...
              If only someone would find a way so people could have sex without creating children?

Maybe we could call it contraception or something?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                You might not feel that way when you get older.

I might dream of what "might have been" but mostly it's just fragments of memories from my youth fighting through.

Now, every day I come home to what might look like the tail end of a frat house party but my kids hear me come in, run up to me and give me hugs and suddenly the world's worries disappear and nothing else matters except knowing that everything you ever wanted was really what you have right here and now.
                You Sap!

But I totally get where you're coming from.........

Comment

16 months = long time. OP - hope you signed on during this time ;-)
                  Would have kept the savings going a bit longer. About £5K.

(although saying that contrib based JSA would have run out and they'd have started hassling you after 3 months).

I was on bench for 4 months once and hated it. Crapped myself and ended up taking a low paid gig for something.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    16 months = long time. OP - hope you signed on during this time ;-)
                    Would have kept the savings going a bit longer. About £5K.

(although saying that contrib based JSA would have run out and they'd have started hassling you after 3 months).

I was on bench for 4 months once and hated it. Crapped myself and ended up taking a low paid gig for something.
                    The trick is to make it back quick. The longest I had on the bench was 3 months. At the end of that company year I was only £3k down on the previous year even though the day rate was the same. I just skipped holidays to make it back.

The hardest part of benchtime is what to do. I was f*** bored. I need a hobby for next time. I understand why people play golf or garden now.

As for signing on. If you're not willing to take a perm job then you shouldn't be signing on.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Brillo likes the worst of both worlds.

Comment

Working...
                      X