• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boom boom boom sigh.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    I don't think your contracting career is sustainable. I've done a couple of 2-3 month stints on the bench and it nearly killed me, mentally and financially. 16 months and a mere glint of hope subsequently pulled away from you! It's not for you mate. Take a permie role and relax a little. We're not all cut out for this.,
    I'm the opposite. Often it''s the time in contract that gets me. Early starts, living out of a suitcase etc. I look forward to a few weeks bench time every 3 - 6 months. Normally ends up being 4-8 weeks. I know I'm not making as much money as I should but WTF. Life's too short & I have other stuff to be getting on with...

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
      I'm the opposite. Often it''s the time in contract that gets me. Early starts, living out of a suitcase etc. I look forward to a few weeks bench time every 3 - 6 months. Normally ends up being 4-8 weeks. I know I'm not making as much money as I should but WTF. Life's too short & I have other stuff to be getting on with...
      Like buying your Garden Centre BBP?

Comment

I always worry about what I will do with any substantial time off. It's a sad state of affairs because life should not be just about working.

I used to have grandiose plans of travelling and seeing interesting parts of the world.

But I get the feeling I'll be dragged into daily school runs, DIY and cooking dinner for the family

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
          Absolutely this for me but I do think this is something this switch happens at some point in a contracting career. Everyone starts off worrying about bench time, wanting to be billable 100% of the time etc and something just happens and you switch views. For me it was a 2.5 year stint away from home. For others it could be mortgage paid off, wife gets a good job, warchest is huge, health whatever. Your perspective completely changes. You can't tell a newbie to be like this and us in this phase can't understand it etc. It's almost a natural evolution.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            I always worry about what I will do with any substantial time off. It's a sad state of affairs because life should not be just about working.

I used to have grandiose plans of travelling and seeing interesting parts of the world.

But I get the feeling I'll be dragged into daily school runs, DIY and cooking dinner for the family
            I took to hiding from certain people during my bench time if I was well as I would be dragged into helping them.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              I took to hiding from certain people during my bench time if I was well as I would be dragged into helping them.
              Quite impressive that you can hide from your husband and kids

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                Like buying your Garden Centre BBP?
                That and the never ending hairbrained DIY projects I always seem to have going.

Never short of things to do here...

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
                  Part was deliberately taking 6 months off after minor surgery during a role - complications made that nearer 8-9 months.

There was a fair bit of messing around by a number of agencies, potential clients when was back on the market too - it's that element that's just been the tipping point really.

Couple of permie years, see how things go from there. I love the go in - get things done side of contracting, love working different places, using different skills, learning new things but utter tired of the unrelented bs that surrounds it all. There are only so many times you can tell the Indian recruiter pestering you on the phone at 7am that no, Cardiff is nowhere near Wimbledon and is not in South London...
                  Good luck hope it all goes well for you

Comment

Thanks for the love

To be honest, I've been fighting against a number of issues over the years - wife has serious incurable illness that can be managed but there's always the possibility it can flare up. Add in a child with special needs and it's not the case I can live out of a suitcase for gigs, so that cuts things down. Having SC go inactive at a point local gigs all wanted it didn't help either.

Start perm role on Monday - ironically, whilst waiting for all that process to go through, a 3 week contract came up and it's been my best ever gig tbh. Money wasn't amazing, the tech was (Groovy and Spock neither of which I used before), small company. I guess it's good to sign off with a good gig.

The money situation has become challenging, there's no question about that - guess I was too stubborn in trying to keep what was a failing company running. Plan is spend next two years minimum in this perm role, get the money side sorted and see later what happens. Yes, I've made mistakes along the way but I've loved contracting. Working at different clients, different skills, tech etc has been something I've always loved. Got a role with a consultancy so I guess it's pseudo contracting just with more consistent income at the moment.

It's just difficult to read the future of contracting in the South Wales / Bristol areas. You'd have thought uncertainty around Brexit would have lent itself to a flexible contract market, but it seems companies are after perms rather than contractors to get through any storm.

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post

Start perm role on Monday - ironically, whilst waiting for all that process to go through, a 3 week contract came up and it's been my best ever gig tbh. Money wasn't amazing, the tech was (Groovy and Spock neither of which I used before), small company. I guess it's good to sign off with a good gig.
                      Don't beat yourself up about the gig. One thing we know as contractors they are generally short term and you are back to square one at the end. If going perm was the right thing to do then focus on that and enjoy it for a bit. You know to soak up as many skills as you can and keep yourself ready to jump back in when the time and family situation is right so make the most of it. If it's a good company you might really enjoy it. Hope it goes well.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X