• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

On call arrangements

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On call arrangements

How are people dealing with the contractual side of this when already engaged in a contract through an agency? Just a retainer for simplicity? Any MoO concerns?

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
    How are people dealing with the contractual side of this when already engaged in a contract through an agency? Just a retainer for simplicity? Any MoO concerns?
    On call? Are you doing project based work or BAU? In a project, I have very occasionally been on call during a go-live for a couple of days (and have arrange payments pretty informally) but that is all.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      On call? Are you doing project based work or BAU? In a project, I have very occasionally been on call during a go-live for a couple of days (and have arrange payments pretty informally) but that is all.
      the problem is 'on-call' implies ad-hoc.
      Best to be 'working all hours for a critical milestone' with some sleep breaks.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

MoO is about offering work aftet the current assignment so I'd guess no but you need to know the details to be absolutely sure what is and isn't affected.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          The project is the evolution and "product-isation" of a platform that is now live. Might just leave it to the permies...

Comment

What does your contract say. Are you being given extra tasks above and beyond those I the agreement or is this part of the schedule of work. I. E. D&C or not?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              What does your contract say. Are you being given extra tasks above and beyond those I the agreement or is this part of the schedule of work. I. E. D&C or not?
              Why does it matter what my contract says? It doesn't say anything about on-call - so there is no provision and it would need to be formally added / agreed. In terms of actual working practices, I'm reviewing what's already there as I'm considered an SME on the container orchestrator in use (k8s), proposing changes and upgrades, and being given high-level requirements that take several weeks each to choose how to implement and adding them to the platform. I'm working unsupervised, providing direction, and taking control

Comment

For a long cutover process where I had to be on call and on site I had an hourly rate of 150% evening hours between 6 and 11PM after that until7&AM and during weekends 200% (for hours actually worked)

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
                  Why does it matter what my contract says? It doesn't say anything about on-call - so there is no provision and it would need to be formally added / agreed. In terms of actual working practices, I'm reviewing what's already there as I'm considered an SME on the container orchestrator in use (k8s), proposing changes and upgrades, and being given high-level requirements that take several weeks each to choose how to implement and adding them to the platform. I'm working unsupervised, providing direction, and taking control
                  It matters as it makes the difference between D&C and an existing agreed deliverable. I thought that was the type of thing you were asking about in your original post?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    It matters as it makes the difference between D&C and an existing agreed deliverable. I thought that was the type of thing you were asking about in your original post?
                    Kind of. I'm not contracted to supply the entire platform, nor to support it, so it's already clear to all parties that on call is not provided for by the contract. I've checked again though and there's nothing about it in there.

Comment

Working...
                    X