• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

On call arrangements

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, what is the “on call” work that they want you to do?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      So, what is the “on call” work that they want you to do?
      Be available as an escalation contact if and when the platform does go down.

Comment

Is it for a few weeks, or are we talking about months/years?

If it’s only a few weeks, I’d probably agree something with the client along the lines of “if I do 2-3 hours a week, I’ll bill you for half a day, 3-6 is a full day and weekends are double”, then tell the agent you may be working a few extra hours per week and that you’ll be billing either full or half days for them.

If it’s longer than that, I’d want a separate contract that was hourly, maybe specifying 20 hours per month as a base, but you’re getting into permie territory then.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
          Kind of. I'm not contracted to supply the entire platform, nor to support it, so it's already clear to all parties that on call is not provided for by the contract. I've checked again though and there's nothing about it in there.
          Which is kind of a good thing I guess. It gives you the option to negotiate the requirements and more importantly the rate if you do fancy doing it.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Indeed. It'd probably be co-termed with the contract. Thinking of it as just a few extra hours is an easy way of dealing with it, but I'm minded to push for a retainer (as I'll have to make arrangements to be available regardless of whether I get called out or not!)

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
              Kind of. I'm not contracted to supply the entire platform, nor to support it, so it's already clear to all parties that on call is not provided for by the contract. I've checked again though and there's nothing about it in there.
              You could quote for the work and agree a CCN to your contract. Make sure it is scope and time defined.

Comment

Working...
              X