• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent - can you explain his actions?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Did you tell the agent your mate had guaranteed you were getting the role?
    This. That is exactly what I do when in this position. "The job is mine, the hiring manager is expecting my CV".
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
      Mistake you made was to bring an agent into the picture too early. The role is direct to all intents and purposes and the agency is only needed for the payroll. Get the role and THEN ask client HR to put you through their preferred agency. Get the contract reviewed and handcuff clauses removed as well as the usual IR35 stuff they sneak in.
      Had no choice as HR insisted on going via an agency on their PSL. I found out AFTER not before my friend just assumed like I did the agent sent the CV to the hiring manager so both of us did nothing to hassle him over why no interview request as obviously did not want to rock the boat as my friend is still onsite. We both assumed to trust the agent big mistake I know but they cannot all be blatant pathological liars can they...............!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        Did you tell the agent your mate had guaranteed you were getting the role?
        Yes but the agent still thought he knew better & submitted the cheaper candidates to keep his higher profit margin thinking one of them would land the role!!! The hiring manager just assumed my CV never arrived as I changed my mind so went ahead with another agency altogether as their margin was more favourable & rates were slightly cheaper than my quote (my agent stuffed that up as well he went for the highest amount which was just under £500 a day the other agency who got the role went with £350 a day..big difference!!!).

Comment

Agents often ask for contractors to confirm that they are representing them for the role.

Always respond "You represent me for this role only provided my CV is submitted".

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
            Yes but the agent still thought he knew better & submitted the cheaper candidates to keep his higher profit margin thinking one of them would land the role!!! The hiring manager just assumed my CV never arrived as I changed my mind so went ahead with another agency altogether as their margin was more favourable & rates were slightly cheaper than my quote (my agent stuffed that up as well he went for the highest amount which was just under £500 a day the other agency who got the role went with £350 a day..big difference!!!).
            Seems a bit odd tbh.

Surely an agent completes the deal asap with you, the guaranteed applicant, ahead of candidates from other agencies and moves on to his next role?

You should have phoned your mate and said "agent x has my cv, if you don't receive it let me know".

Edit: you got the role anyway so I suppose it doesn't matter. Wonder if someone at agency made a mistake, e.g. The guy you told you knew the client was off and someone missed the note on your file
            Last edited by jmo21; 26 September 2017, 20:48.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
              Had no choice as HR insisted on going via an agency on their PSL. I found out AFTER not before my friend just assumed like I did the agent sent the CV to the hiring manager so both of us did nothing to hassle him over why no interview request as obviously did not want to rock the boat as my friend is still onsite. We both assumed to trust the agent big mistake I know but they cannot all be blatant pathological liars can they...............!!!
              If a pimp tells you the sky is blue best to look out of the window to check
              Last edited by SlipTheJab; 27 September 2017, 07:18.

Comment

A lot of people just seem to be writing this off a something agents do, but this is a serious violation. Have there been any laws broken or industry conduct codes? Surely they can't be allowed to get away with this?

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
                  A lot of people just seem to be writing this off a something agents do, but this is a serious violation. Have there been any laws broken or industry conduct codes? Surely they can't be allowed to get away with this?
                  Nope and you are right but they do.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No laws broken. There are no industry conduct codes. As people taking contracts via businesses(not employees), fewer rules apply.

If you can't do your research and get conned, go back to being a permie.

Comment

It is probably a breach of industry conduct code e.g. REC but it is a case of can you prove it?

Also if you can, the only way to drive home that the agency has screwed up is for that agency to lose the account with that company. This means the OP has to complain to the hiring manager. The hiring manager in turn needs to tell HR. However as recruitment processes are suppose to look "fair" on paper this may cause a problem unless the OP is in a minority group which none of the other candidates fit.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X