• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Financial Service contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Financial Service contracts

I am a total noob and have never done contracting before but I am thinking of getting into it. I have read up a bit on IR35 but I was wondering if anyone knows if these complaint handling contracts for Banks advertised through the likes of Momenta, Huntswood etc fall in or out of it?

Reason I ask is I have applied for a role and i'd need to commute 2 hours on the train to get to the location. The other option is to stay there in the week and come back at weekend. Would I be able to claim back any expenses like travel or accommodation?

Keep readiinlg. Try the newbie guides on the right hand side for starters. Also go to the IPSE we site. There is new starter guides there. . You need to get a much better understanding of the whole contracting thing before asking questions. That would doesn't really warrant a response I am afraid.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 26 September 2017, 05:34.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Also consider why you want to get into contracting. Are you happy to be in business in your own right; understanding that if you don't turn up, you don't get paid and you're responsible for your taxes, training, pension, etc. etc? No holiday pay, no sick pay. If your face doesn't fit, you'll be kicked out with little or no notice. If the client changes their mind about the project, you'll be kicked out with little or no notice (that's if you even get started).

How long can you last without an income? Can your finances cope with irregular income? Are you willing to work without any significant breaks until you build up a sufficient buffer (aka war chest) to protect you in lean times?

If any of that worries you, you're not ready for contracting and IR35 is the least of your concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by smithy858 View Post
        I am a total noob and have never done contracting before but I am thinking of getting into it. I have read up a bit on IR35 but I was wondering if anyone knows if these complaint handling contracts for Banks advertised through the likes of Momenta, Huntswood etc fall in or out of it?

Reason I ask is I have applied for a role and i'd need to commute 2 hours on the train to get to the location. The other option is to stay there in the week and come back at weekend. Would I be able to claim back any expenses like travel or accommodation?
        Forget the term ‘claim back’ its not free money, its just offset against profit to lower tax.

£1000 hotel bill still costs you/your ltd £1000 less tax

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Forget the term ‘claim back’ its not free money, its just offset against profit to lower tax.

£1000 hotel bill still costs you/your ltd £1000 less tax
          Agreed. Claim back is permie speak

Comment

for the OP, this effectively means you* save** 20% of the expense value

*not you, your company

**your company corporation tax bill is reduced by that amount

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Agreed. Claim back is permie speak
              I remember one chap boasting about the office, that his tax bill was £10,000 (made up figure, cant remember details) so he reckoned he was going to buy a car for £10,000 and then his tax bill would be £0 and he'd have a free car.

Errr, no....

Comment

I remember one chap boasting about the office, that his tax bill was £10,000 (made up figure, cant remember details) so he reckoned he was going to buy a car for £10,000 and then his tax bill would be £0 and he'd have a free car.

Errr, no....
                I reckon that was Neo and HMRC approved it.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Biggest issue with financial services(or other London) gigs is the commuting.

Think very carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Biggest issue with financial services(or other London) gigs is the commuting.

Think very carefully.
                    Yeah. I live in W8 and it's awful.

Comment

Working...
                    X