• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Indian Recruitment Agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indian Recruitment Agencies

Plenty of info on here on this topic which I don't need to regurgitate, but these Indian recruitment firms which seem to have multiplied in last year or so, I'm convinced they are nothing more than a scam to increase the number of work visa issues by HMG at the expense of UK nationals.

Being totally aware of the risks, and not having to accept any old contract, thought I'd pursue one of their approaches to try and see what's what. A Harlow (read: Mumbai) based one (why is ALWAYS Harlow ) sent me a role spec I'd previously discussed with a UK agency, whom declined to put me forward, with justification to be fair. So I spoke with Indian outfit, who then advised the role would be via one of the large Indian outsourcing firms rather than for the end-client, identity of whom I'd learnt from UK agency.

What the heck I thought, so I let them put my details forward. Soon after they arranged a "telephonic" interview (telephonic - I've added to my offshore vocab bank) with outsourcing firm. Lo and behold, they never showed for the call, my chasers fell on deaf ears, nitto, total telephonic silence.

End of story...except the Indian recruitment agency now has an audit trail of me supposedly attending an interview for which they can falsely state I (and quite possibly many others) was unsuccessful...and use it to substantiate their argument for bringing in yet another offshore bod in at a cheaper price at expense of UK nationals. Distorting and undercutting the market at our expense.

All seems a little suspect to me. Am I paranoid ? Anyone else had similar experience ?

Didn't think I'd ever in a million years find myself saying this...but the experience actually made me feel good about our own UK agencies

Life's too short...

Once I've sussed it's one of those Indian agencies, I hang up.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Soul View Post
      Plenty of info on here on this topic which I don't need to regurgitate, but these Indian recruitment firms which seem to have multiplied in last year or so, I'm convinced they are nothing more than a scam to increase the number of work visa issues by HMG at the expense of UK nationals.

Being totally aware of the risks, and not having to accept any old contract, thought I'd pursue one of their approaches to try and see what's what. A Harlow (read: Mumbai) based one (why is ALWAYS Harlow ) sent me a role spec I'd previously discussed with a UK agency, whom declined to put me forward, with justification to be fair. So I spoke with Indian outfit, who then advised the role would be via one of the large Indian outsourcing firms rather than for the end-client, identity of whom I'd learnt from UK agency.

What the heck I thought, so I let them put my details forward. Soon after they arranged a "telephonic" interview (telephonic - I've added to my offshore vocab bank) with outsourcing firm. Lo and behold, they never showed for the call, my chasers fell on deaf ears, nitto, total telephonic silence.

End of story...except the Indian recruitment agency now has an audit trail of me supposedly attending an interview for which they can falsely state I (and quite possibly many others) was unsuccessful...and use it to substantiate their argument for bringing in yet another offshore bod in at a cheaper price at expense of UK nationals. Distorting and undercutting the market at our expense.

All seems a little suspect to me. Am I paranoid ? Anyone else had similar experience ?

Didn't think I'd ever in a million years find myself saying this...but the experience actually made me feel good about our own UK agencies
      Yes you’re paranoid. Theres no way to contract in uk realistjcally if not EU and T2 perms roles need to pay around £35k. Nearly all T2 doors are closed to ILR now so theres little incentive now.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Yes you’re paranoid. Theres no way to contract in uk realistjcally if not EU and T2 perms roles need to pay around £35k. Nearly all T2 doors are closed to ILR now so theres little incentive now.
        £35 perm salary to the body, being charged out at 5 times that by the consultancy. There might be little incentive to the worker, but to the IBMs, Wipros, TCSs, etc there's still a huge financial incentive.

Those outfits don't bother with the pretence of sham interviews, though.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          My current client must not have heard about the rules as there are quite a few about, bus loads brought in every day!

Comment

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
            My current client must not have heard about the rules as there are quite a few about, bus loads brought in every day!
            Worth speaking to them and finding out what salaries they are on.

The clients I have who use such people I found that they had a good English speaking level and had worked elsewhere in the UK or Ireland before. They also rented flats for themselves and family unless they were single. The single ones were a mess like many young UK people.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I feel sorry for Indians who now cannot get a job with any UK agency, even UK based. Plenty of UK contractors now hang up the phone as soon as they hear an Indian accent.

The rogue agencies need sorting out.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I feel sorry for Indians who now cannot get a job with any UK agency, even UK based. Plenty of UK contractors now hang up the phone as soon as they hear an Indian accent.

The rogue agencies need sorting out.
                You reap what you sow

Comment

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
                  My recent roles...flooded with EU and non EU alike....both perm and non perm

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
                    My recent roles...flooded with EU and non EU alike....both perm and non perm
                    Can't contract if non-EU (unless on T5 YMS), it's not possible, you need sponsorship, COS, SMS officer, RMLT, so you must be mistaken.

Comment

Working...
                    X