• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Jobserve a waste of time?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    20 applications in 4 weeks, that is only 1 per day, finding a contract sometimes is a numbers game the more you apply for the more your name gets noticed, if there is a shortage of roles you can apply for try expanding your keyword searches.
    Absolutely but there is a balance. Darren_Test suggests he's sent 1000s in the last few months. I expect he's overstated that but I do believe he's applied for everything that's remotely similar to what he does or gigs he thinks he could do but with no demonstrable experience. This approach is just a waste of everyone's time and I can see how you'd then turn and blame JS.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Absolutely but there is a balance. Darren_Test suggests he's sent 1000s in the last few months. I expect he's overstated that but I do believe he's applied for everything that's remotely similar to what he does or gigs he thinks he could do but with no demonstrable experience. This approach is just a waste of everyone's time and I can see how you'd then turn and blame JS.
      ^ This. I must've re-written my base CV five or six times whilst getting the hang of what agents were "looking for" on JS. I read a lot of the guides on here and other sites about how your CV should read and be structured, for me that made a massive difference to the number of agent responses I got.

I suspect DT has just attacked JS with his permie CV, a catchall search for any industry in any area working for £300 a day, added all the jobs to his basked and clicked apply. "I made 1000 applications but i don't know why it doesn't work" - yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Soul View Post
        IMO, a nominal payment of, say, £1 for each application would help reduce the volume to those who are serious and viable for a role, and give the agencies a better chance to assess them accordingly.
        Call yourself a Northerner? FFS man! I hope you intend this pound to be both tax deductable and VAT inclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          How odd. I've just had 3 calls - no 4 as I got interrupted writing this from agents with contract roles. Unfortunately I'm not looking just yet.

Wonder what skills you have?

Btw last time I was told tulip like that I got a contract I applied for months before. The contract had disappeared as the client was changing agents but they recognised my CV.
          Same here. 4 calls yesterday morning. It's always the same when you're in contract. I could probably improve my rate by £ 100 a day, not that it's a bad one, but I doubt I'd improve on 3 days from home so I'm not interested.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
            Same here. 4 calls yesterday morning. It's always the same when you're in contract. I could probably improve my rate by £ 100 a day, not that it's a bad one, but I doubt I'd improve on 3 days from home so I'm not interested.
            Last time I was looking it was quiet for a couple of months as I was refusing any public sector contracts that came up, then it went completely mad with agents ringing me and trying to get me to interviews for private sector clients. I then had to wait to see what was happening to two of the contracts I really wanted and ended up with one of them. That's why I'm wondering what skills some of the people complaining the market is bad have.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Last time I was looking it was quiet for a couple of months as I was refusing any public sector contracts that came up, then it went completely mad with agents ringing me and trying to get me to interviews for private sector clients. I then had to wait to see what was happening to two of the contracts I really wanted and ended up with one of them. That's why I'm wondering what skills some of the people complaining the market is bad have.
              Manager of testers with basic parking ticket machine operation skills.

Comment

Jobserve.

Never used to be shocking.

Along comes Great Recession and 'one man and a mobile phone' agencies.

Is now shocking.

The end.

Comment

I'm doing just fine on JobServe at the moment.

Agents contact me after a few hours and I've had two interviews a week over the last three weeks. Each job has resulted in an offer and now I'm deciding which to accept - seems just like the "good-old-days" to me.

I think it's always about having the in-demand skills.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    But let's be clear here, Jobserve isn't the problem.
                    Seconded
                    I have also have had 100% success with JS since around the mid nineties both perm and contract.

Clearly YMMV
                    So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Find the contract on jobserve then head off to the agency website and apply through there which works for me but I tend not to pigeon hole myself by restricting myself to one regional area (only place I flatly refuse to work in is Northern Ireland).

Comment

Working...
                      X