+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 39
  1. #1
    Boo
    Boo is offline

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    854
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    12
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    45

    Default Which Trades Union for IT Contractors ?

    Hi,

    Was thinking of joining a Union and wondered which Trades Union is most appropriate for IT Contractors ? Anyone done that recently and care to share their views as to which Union offers the most appropriate benefits to its members wrt IT Contracting ?

    I should say in advance that I am not considering IPSE after a tulipe experience with them in the past and am only looking at "proper" Trades Unions.

    Thanks,

    Boo
    Last edited by Boo; 13th September 2017 at 12:47.

  2. #2

    TykeLike

    SimonMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    God's Own Republic Of Yorkshire
    Posts
    22,059
    Thanks (Given)
    225
    Thanks (Received)
    1066
    Likes (Given)
    803
    Likes (Received)
    2899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    Hi,

    Was thinking of joining a Union and wondered which Trades Union is most appropriate for IT Contractors ? Anyone done that recently and care to share their views as to which Union offers the most appropriate benefits to its members wrt IT Contracting ?

    Thanks,

    Boo
    IPSE?
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

    ― Marcus Aurelius

  3. #3

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    17,808
    Thanks (Given)
    460
    Thanks (Received)
    948
    Likes (Given)
    4015
    Likes (Received)
    2631

    Default

    Unions will only be interested in you if you are in permanent employment.

    They view contractors as money-grabbing aberrations.

    Join IPSE if you want a voice.

  4. #4
    eek
    eek is online now

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    21,921
    Thanks (Given)
    228
    Thanks (Received)
    1120
    Likes (Given)
    1004
    Likes (Received)
    3385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    IPSE?
    IPSE is not a trade union - lets be honest its IR35 insurance with some reasonable additions.... - it may even be good at lobbying (personally I have my doubts regarding the effectiveness of their lobbying and reasons to believe my doubts are valid).

    https://www.indycube.community/ would be my suggestion....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  5. #5

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    10,232
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    197
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    IPSE?
    Not a trade union of course but I agree it's the only option.

    The main benefit of a union to a worker is representation and support, which IPSE will provide. Most unions are firmly wedded to supporting employees and so look at everything through that filter. Ermm, no thanks...

    The snag with IPSE - if it is one, which I don't think it is - is that you have to fight your own battle with a lot of help, you can't simply hand it off to your local rep and wait for the miracle. But since we're independent contractors, I fail to see that as an issue.
    Blog? What blog...?

  6. #6
    Boo
    Boo is offline

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    854
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    12
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    IPSE?
    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    Join IPSE if you want a voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    Not a trade union of course but I agree it's the only option.
    I should say in advance that I am not considering IPSE after a tulipe experience with them in the past and am only looking at "proper" Trades Unions.

    Have edited OP,

    Boo

  7. #7

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    395
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    20
    Likes (Given)
    146
    Likes (Received)
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    IPSE is not a trade union - lets be honest its IR35 insurance with some reasonable additions.... - it may even be good at lobbying (personally I have my doubts regarding the effectiveness of their lobbying and reasons to believe my doubts are valid).

    https://www.indycube.community/ would be my suggestion....
    Same here - I don't see IPSE delivering anything for contractors ? Insurance you can buy anywhere.

    A Trade Union for contractors is also a nonsense.
    Last edited by radish2008; 13th September 2017 at 12:56. Reason: spelling ...

  8. #8

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    1,120
    Thanks (Given)
    11
    Thanks (Received)
    44
    Likes (Given)
    116
    Likes (Received)
    245

    Default Which Trades Union for IT Contractors ?

    Have a look at independent workers union of Great Britain. Probably best fit as a union for contractors.
    But I doubt it's what you're after as unions are inherently opposed to our preferred working methods (no rights, risk, no sick pay, less tax).
    If you're inside ir35 then just join the popular union at your clients site (probably unite, unison or GMB)
    Last edited by Lance; 13th September 2017 at 13:13.
    See You Next Tuesday

  9. #9

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    688
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    104

    Default

    BT was and is heavily unionised. The unions were an active part in getting British IT staff kicked out and replaced with thousands of Indian nationals who came in on intra company transfer visas, and many are still here having been giving indefinite leave to remain, and shifting many of the jobs to India too. The unions were also pushing unrealism on wages of the sexes, ie pay women the same as the men despite on average them not working away from home so much, not working long weekends as much, not working crazy hours as much, and so on... So complete nonsense.

    The union also pushed for making voluntary redundancy offers to everyone, regardless of rating, skills needed in the business, and so on... So mostly the best people left with big payouts and the dross was left behind to work with their friends from India. Indeed this happened time and time again.

    So dont think the unions ever did anything for the British IT workforce.

  10. #10

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    395
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    20
    Likes (Given)
    146
    Likes (Received)
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
    BT was and is heavily unionised. The unions were an active part in getting British IT staff kicked out and replaced with thousands of Indian nationals who came in on intra company transfer visas, and many are still here having been giving indefinite leave to remain, and shifting many of the jobs to India too. The unions were also pushing unrealism on wages of the sexes, ie pay women the same as the men despite on average them not working away from home so much, not working long weekends as much, not working crazy hours as much, and so on... So complete nonsense.

    The union also pushed for making voluntary redundancy offers to everyone, regardless of rating, skills needed in the business, and so on... So mostly the best people left with big payouts and the dross was left behind to work with their friends from India. Indeed this happened time and time again.

    So dont think the unions ever did anything for the British IT workforce.
    Are you saying the union was secretly running BT ? Didn't the management or board notice ? I find this very hard to believe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.