• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Trades Union for IT Contractors ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
    Same here - I don't see IPSE delivering anything for contractors ? Insurance you can buy anywhere.
    Even if you only look on a purely financial basis, and are only looking at certain parts of the membership that IPSE offers, can you buy comparable insurance for a comparable cost?

If you're an IPSE+ member and you die before you're 75, IPSE pays out a cash lump sum of £5000. That's roughly 20 years of membership.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Even if you only look on a purely financial basis, and are only looking at certain parts of the membership that IPSE offers, can you buy comparable insurance for a comparable cost?

If you're an IPSE+ member and you die before you're 75, IPSE pays out a cash lump sum of £5000. That's roughly 20 years of membership.
      Care to declare your interest in IPSE - not point scoring but I do believe those who receive money from IPSE should be clearly stating that they do when they recommend it...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Would they pay out if I hurled myself into a volcano ?

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
          Would they pay out if I hurled myself into a volcano ?
          As I interpret the terms and conditions, not if you commit suicide in the first year plus one day of membership or increase in the value of the policy.

If you are considering hurling yourself into a volcano, and are relying on the IPSE policy to pay out, it's probably worth checking with them directly in advance.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

There's Community who are all over the news today with their sudden realisation that there's a self employed work force out there who aren't being represented by a single body because it's dead easy to ensure that uber drivers, plumbers, builders, it bods, hr consultants, locums, engineers, teachers, dentists, etc. are all equitably treated in the workplace.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              There's Community who are all over the news today with their sudden realisation that there's a self employed work force out there who aren't being represented by a single body because it's dead easy to ensure that uber drivers, plumbers, builders, it bods, hr consultants, locums, engineers, teachers, dentists, etc. are all equitably treated in the workplace.
              May I refer you to my comment earlier in this thread - free membership - including legal advice until April 2018...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Funnily enough I signed up for Indy Cube a couple fo days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  May I refer you to my comment earlier in this thread - free membership - including legal advice until April 2018...
                  I saw indycube and didn't twig, sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                    Was thinking of joining a Union and wondered which Trades Union is most appropriate for IT Contractors ?
                    The question really is what do you want from joining a Union? As an IT Contractor, what union membership benefits are you looking for?
                    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Unions are a thing of the 19th and early 20th century they have become totally useless and should be banned

Comment

Working...
                      X