• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End client ending contract and changed their minds to pay the notice period payment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bee View Post
    Only an idiot would work in notice period knowing that was not going to be paid.
    You've added the word "work" into it.

If you don't have a signed timesheet you don't get paid.
    If you don't work during your notice period, you don't get paid.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Generally, you aren't paid because there is no contractual requirement to pay you.
      I understand your point, but there is 5 days notice period on his contract and you need to know the conditions before working in the notice period. Where are the returning equipment conditions?
      Last edited by Bee; 13 September 2017, 16:49.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        You've added the word "work" into it.

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        If you don't have a signed timesheet you don't get paid.
        If you don't work during your notice period, you don't get paid.
        Yes, I know that, thank you anyway.

Comment

Another thread completely ruined by Bee.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Very relevant for the case...

Comment

Twice, impressively!

Comment

Whilst a lawyer will quickly and efficiently resolve, the costs of employing one may not justify the gains. Let's say OP is chasing down £2000 for his 5 days worked, any good lawyer is going to need to spend around an hour going over the contract and being briefed on the situation, a further hour drafting a letter and then potentially a final hour sending a response if the clientco come back.

A very conservative estimate of three hours worth of legal time would probably be somewhere in the region of £600 for someone junior. Whilst you can write that off against your CT bill, you will also have spent a fair amount of your own time chasing this. Do you really want to go to that effort and expense (including your own, valuable time which frankly you cannot put a price on) to chase a grand? (assuming that the initial £2000 figure is in the right ball park) - you may be better off focusing on the next challenge, sending some tailored applications and undertaking some training for your next desired gig.

If you don't want to get legal beagles involved, id try and raise an MCOL claim against the agency (if not opted out) and just see where you get with it. You can withdraw at any time and it only costs a few quid. Usually some official court paperwork is enough to prompt someone into coughing up.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                  Usually some official court paperwork is enough to prompt someone into coughing up.
                  Unless they feel that you're taking the proverbial and they are perfectly within their rights.

In which case you're down to hoping that they don't want to pay out unnecessarily, rather than actually being right.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    Twice, impressively!
                    Why because I advised a help of a lawyer.?

You and NLUK and the lack of ability to analyzing the problem in-depth makes me laugh.

The contracts have terms and termination conditions between the contractor and the agency to protect both parts, the Agency has another contract with terms and termination conditions with the client. Don't tell me that in the UK a lawyer or a court does not have the power to check the contract between the Agency and the Client if necessary? If not I must conclude that looks like a 3 world country (with no offense). I presume if you won, the blame part will pay all the costs, in the UK no?

The court would the last choice because you may lose the Client but this is another long story.

Comment

The email from the client won't make a difference will it? The OP has no contractual relationship with the client so it doesn't matter what the client says they will do. That's between the client and the agent.

It also opens the possibility that his contract also says they will only get paid if the agency does. In this case they haven't so again no breach.
                      I read it as email from agent. I guess it's not so clear.

Comment

Working...
                      X