• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thinking of taking a ridiculously low local contact...How to get best out of it..??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of taking a ridiculously low local contact...How to get best out of it..??

I am thinking of taking a ridiculously low rate contract (50% of last rate) local role as I couldn't find any better one so far.!

Good end client...good addition to my CV.

What is the best strategy to get best out of this role..?. Basically at the end of 2 month's term I should be able to get back to normal rate with this client or need to fetch a better role piggybacking this one. What way i should operate..??

Question is.. Should you really be contracting at all??
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
      What is the best strategy to get best out of this role..?. Basically at the end of 2 month's term I should be able to get back to normal rate with this client ??
      How do you propose to do that? What are you offering that means you are worth 2x what you accept in September for doing the same work in November?

Sorry but I'm starting to agree with NLUK you really shouldn't be contracting....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Question is.. Should you really be contracting at all??
        +1

Comment

What is the best strategy to get best out of this role..?
          Either

1) Don't start it
          2) At the end of the contract, leave

Basically at the end of 2 month's term I should be able to get back to normal rate with this client or need to fetch a better role piggybacking this one. What way i should operate..??
          As a permie
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Ok...

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Either

1) Don't start it
              2) At the end of the contract, leave

As a permie

Two rules I am considering are..

1. something is better than nothing
              2. Good name added to my CV

Comment

Two rules I am considering are..

1. something is better than nothing
                2. Good name added to my CV
                Adding a good name then running away from them after a couple of weeks is worse than not having them on your CV.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Adding a good name then leaving them after a couple of months is worse than not having them on your CV.
                  ftfy....

Is it really a good name paying below market rate or is the problem (if we are being honest) the rate for your skills isn't what it used to be....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    ftfy....

Is it really a good name paying below market rate or is the problem (if we are being honest) the rate for your skills isn't what it used to be....
                    Or that the rate he was paid on one occasion was way above what he should be on?
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X