• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobbing/Bullying?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Have you tried overtly shopping for expensive stuff the permies can't afford in your lunch break? Usually makes me feel better if there's ever permie drama.

Even ask for opinions on which make/models are better from any that are still talking to you.
    Hahaha, I will remember this. Sometimes I take a walk in the car park and look at my car, then look at permie cars. Then look at my car again.

Usually puts things into perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
      Hahaha, I will remember this. Sometimes I take a walk in the car park and look at my car, then look at permie cars. Then look at my car again.

Usually puts things into perspective.
      Looking for holidays are a good one as well - especially out of season when they know you're already had one. "What's better for winter sun? Mexico or the Bahamas? - or should we just go skiing (again)?"
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Looking for holidays are a good one as well - especially out of season when they know you're already had one. "What's better for winter sun? Mexico or the Bahamas? - or should we just go skiing (again)?"
        As a new contractor, I'm still in the permie mindset of adding the cost of my day rate to the cost of the holiday to get the actual cost. I'm only just about getting over not being able to work bank holidays lol.

Comment

Have you tried overtly shopping for expensive stuff the permies can't afford in your lunch break? Usually makes me feel better if there's ever permie drama.

Even ask for opinions on which make/models are better from any that are still talking to you.
          And tip them a couple of quid for their trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            And tip them a couple of quid for their trouble.
            Yes or even a nice lunch somewhere fancy to really pick their brains.

On a serious note, I've had a similar situation where I challenged a senior SME in a big workshop with lots of high brass in there. Turns out this caused a lot of offence - just the mere fact that i did it and even interrupted her flow.

She spent the next few months trying to catch me out in meetings, even complained about something I said in banter in the open plan office. Didn't change anything though, she just made herself look petty and trying to pursue an agenda (establish herself and team as indispensable knowing there were some headcount reductions coming up).

It was difficult at the time and I got a bit tougher from the experience. Now it's an anecdote I use in interviews when asked to give an example of how I dealt with difficult stakeholders.
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Yes or even a nice lunch somewhere fancy to really pick their brains.

On a serious note, I've had a similar situation where I challenged a senior SME in a big workshop with lots of high brass in there. Turns out this caused a lot of offence - just the mere fact that i did it and even interrupted her flow.

She spent the next few months trying to catch me out in meetings, even complained about something I said in banter in the open plan office. Didn't change anything though, she just made herself look petty and trying to pursue an agenda (establish herself and team as indispensable knowing there were some headcount reductions coming up).

It was difficult at the time and I got a bit tougher from the experience. Now it's an anecdote I use in interviews when asked to give an example of how I dealt with difficult stakeholders.
              Only time I ever had a major falling out was recently. Senior client permie (who didn't know what she was talking about) stated said that she was not to be challenged on certain types of matters. Normally I could go with this, but there were some associated risks that I didn't want on my conscience when I go the the grave when they materialised. The fallout was sufficient that client said they would move me to a different project, and I politely advised that I had found a different opportunity.

Otherwise, just smile 'n' bill.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                Only time I ever had a major falling out was recently. Senior client permie (who didn't know what she was talking about) stated said that she was not to be challenged on certain types of matters. Normally I could go with this, but there were some associated risks that I didn't want on my conscience when I go the the grave when they materialised. The fallout was sufficient that client said they would move me to a different project, and I politely advised that I had found a different opportunity.

Otherwise, just smile 'n' bill.
                This is the only way

Comment

Always good to remember that people don't (always) go out of their way to be idiots too. Poor permie is stuck working 60 hour weeks for little pay and even less joy. Probably struggling to keep it together and it's safer to take it out on a contractor than another permie.

Understanding that, at least for me, makes me less bothered about it.

Comment

Being sickly-sweet nice is also very satisfying if you can bear it.

Comment

Update: Handed in notice and walked out of the office and weight lifted off shoulders - feel amazing and it was for the best - toxic controlling environment and it just wasn't worth it. Whilst handing in notice manager couldn't believe that `permie girl` could do such a thing and suggested if I was being a bit sensitive

Decided to also speak with director on way out just to at least say thanks for the opportunity - he said that he would be having a word with those people and that I did nothing wrong and challenges were welcome and they needed someone like that! Oh well. Got an interview lined up next week so feeling good to be honest. Lifes too short for this kind of bulltulip.

Comment

Working...
                      X