• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client co-workers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client co-workers

I have been contracting for 10 years and I'm in a situtation where I have not been before.

Current contract has been going strong for last 10 months. Client is increasing permanent headcount and contract team member's numbers have gone down from 4 to 1 over the time.

This has posed new problems like new permanent co-workers keep on making sarcastic comments about contracting rates, trying to find fault in work, Deleting work etc

There is another 2.5 months left in this contract! If not for negative propaganda there might even be some more work left to do!
    (I know its only me who can take a call on what should happen next etc)

What do you think, is it time to move on? or just grow some thick skin and ignore the barstewards and keep invoicing!

Originally posted by bullseye View Post
    I have been contracting for 10 years and I'm in a situtation where I have not been before.

Current contract has been going strong for last 10 months. Client is increasing permanent headcount and contract team member's numbers have gone down from 4 to 1 over the time.

This has posed new problems like new permanent co-workers keep on making sarcastic comments about contracting rates, trying to find fault in work, Deleting work etc

There is another 2.5 months left in this contract! If not for negative propaganda there might even be some more work left to do!
    (I know its only me who can take a call on what should happen next etc)

What do you think, is it time to move on? or just grow some thick skin and ignore the barstewards and keep invoicing!
    **** 'em.

Be snide back. Joke about low permie wages, tell them they don't have the balls to contract. "I'm reassuringly expensive" etc.

The deleting work bit is more serious though. Do you mean deleting it because they don't think it is good enough, or so it looks like you haven't done it?

Comment

That's contracting. You get good ones and occasionally you get the odd stinker. Whether you put up with it and keep invoicing or bail is totally up to you.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If they are deleting work you need to keep your own local copy of it to replace it or the deleted lines when they "accidentally" delete it.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          If they are deleting work you need to keep your own local copy of it to replace it or the deleted lines when they "accidentally" delete it.
          Yes, thats what I did. Over the time I have learnt my lessons, I have always got a back up of whatever that goes to outer world
          Last edited by bullseye; 26 August 2017, 20:37.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            **** 'em.

Be snide back. Joke about low permie wages, tell them they don't have the balls to contract. "I'm reassuringly expensive" etc.

The deleting work bit is more serious though. Do you mean deleting it because they don't think it is good enough, or so it looks like you haven't done it?
            I'm thinking more of just being a pain in the backside

Comment

you've been adding value for 10 months. Now the new permies are undermining you?

Talk to the client directly (above the new guys). Tell them their new team isn't a team, and ask them how sure they are that these idiots will still be around in 5 years time.
              Ask for strong support or you'll have to leave (and who are they going to look for when all the perms p**s off elsewhere for more cash).

One thing companies hate more than overpaying contractors is the threat of permies leaving them in the tulip.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                you've been adding value for 10 months. Now the new permies are undermining you?

Talk to the client directly (above the new guys). Tell them their new team isn't a team, and ask them how sure they are that these idiots will still be around in 5 years time.
                Ask for strong support or you'll have to leave (and who are they going to look for when all the perms p**s off elsewhere for more cash).

One thing companies hate more than overpaying contractors is the threat of permies leaving them in the tulip.

Thanks Lance. I agree. Client contact needs to know what is happenig.

Comment

Originally posted by bullseye View Post
                  Thanks Lance. I agree. Client contact needs to know what is happenig.
                  Tread carefully. If a tulip storm starts brewing you are the only one they can remove quickly. It's a fine line between advising the client there is a problem and a contractor causing trouble.

Stick to facts that are adversely going affect the client, like the deleting of files. Forget moaning about them picking on you.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Tread carefully. If a tulip storm starts brewing you are the only one they can remove quickly. It's a fine line between advising the client there is a problem and a contractor causing trouble.

Stick to facts that are adversely going affect the client, like the "accidentally" deleting of files. Forget moaning about them picking on you.
                    FTFY
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X