• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Contract! ... Bit like a wet party popper going off ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    A colleague of mine span up a little app that would tot up the billable time per second when in a meeting or making a cup of tea etc.
    I had a ksh script called ‘poo_timer.ksh’ showed how much I’d earned thratching.....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Proper contractor can do that in their heads. Should be second nature.
      Depends how many clients you're billing simultaneously.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        I had a ksh script called ‘poo_timer.ksh’ showed how much I’d earned thratching.....
        Give this a go:
        https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/poop...196998280?mt=8

I knocked it together while learning a bit of swift and XCUI

Feature requests are welcome.

Comment

Part of what I enjoy about contracting is seeing how different each workplace can be. You get to see the good and the bad.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
            Part of what I enjoy about contracting is seeing how different each workplace can be. You get to see the good and the bad.
            This was the main reason I went contracting in the first place (1993) having said that I was at my last client for 5 years

Comment

Ive been contracting since 2014.

In that time Ive accepted contracts doing work that had I been a permie would have made me start job hunting, its the nature of the beast, in my experience companies don't want contractors in positions of seniority so if that's what your looking for permie is the way to go.

If you are worried that the work isn't challenging you enough then that's probably more on you than your client... you accepted the role, either you didn't get enough info on what they wanted from you or (as I expect - and is reasonable) you accepted it because its your first role and you wanted to get going asap.

Look on the bright side, your net income will be up (at least double I'd have thought) and you're only there for a few months, then you can find something else.

Comment

Thanks for the constructive post Snarf. I don't really care about seniority, being in charge, or any of that malarky. I am a techy and I enjoy doing techy things :-)

You are right, I did go in to this role thinking it was a little bit of a downgrade in terms of skills required you again you're right, I did want out of my old place before my notice period increased from one, to three months, so was on a timescale.

Net income is up, by approximately 40-50% so nowhere near double, my permy salary was actually quite decent. If it had doubled I'd probably feel a lot better about things!

On the upside as a result of the comments left here I had a think about my position, what I was (or wasn't) doing and had a chat with the IT Manager - we now both have a far clearer understanding of how this is going to work and what I am going to deliver I'm currently sorting out all of the Active Directory replication topology as we speak, so i'm a much happier bunny!

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
                  This was the main reason I went contracting in the first place (1993) having said that I was at my last client for 5 years
                  Wow, I started in '93 too. It's been a long road but I can usually tell you everything wrong with a company within the first week now. About 30% of ex-client Co. are extinct.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                    Wow, I started in '93 too. It's been a long road but I can usually tell you everything wrong with a company within the first week now. About 30% of ex-client Co. are extinct.
                    And I thought it was just me! [emoji16]
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Ah 93, classic year, 14th April started at BASS breweries in Cape Hill, Birmingham on first contract.
                      We are talking Freelance Informer (scanning for agency details), faxing CV's, bottles of wine and hampers turning up from the agencies periodically and usually some proper sort taking you out for lunch or dinner the odd time....
                      Got the gig 2 weeks after some agency wonk said I had zero chance of scoring a contract and should grab the first perm job I saw.
                      Astonished at what I was getting paid I expected to be found out at any time and requested to leave.

Comment

Working...
                      X