• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Submitted Rate Reduced Before 1st Interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
    I'd say there are 2 options.

If you're confident you can get another gig at the rate you want, or you have others at interview at that rate etc. tell the agent that you're only interested in the original rate and walk away if they don't put you forward.

If you need the gig and the reduced rate is acceptable for you, I'd call the agents bluff and tell them they can put you forward for it and you'll discuss the rate reduction at the interview. Chances are they'll back down, but if not I'd consider actually asking the client at the end of the interview if you think it went well. Be careful though, if you don't do it right it could backfire. I'd maybe just say you'd like to clarify what the agent has told you, without mentioning figures. "I wouldn't normally discuss rates at an interview...." etc.
    "I wouldn't normally discuss rates at an interview, but the sudden dramatic rate cut makes me question whether there are funding issues for the project" would be one approach. When they say "what dramatic rate cut?" then it becomes obvious where the idea came from.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
      Supply & demand in action & or they detect you need the role as you have only been a contractor 3 years.
      As so many people are looking & the market is tight accept the 15% less get the role then 1st extension ask for the 15% back! Can you afford to be benched or not is the other factor only you will know the answer look at this mega thread to get a flavour for how bad the market is for some of us! http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...arket-134.html
      This. People saying walk away are probably sat in a contract so it's piss easy to say.

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Ignore this.

If you have decent skills tell the agent that unless you are given the rate you agreed then they can foxtrot oscar.
      Actuall, ignore the quote above as it is supremely perposterous and yet more drivel. Doesnt matter if you've got 'decent skills' (and if you havent, what are you doing contracting?).

If you're on the bench, 90% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
        This. People saying walk away are probably sat in a contract so it's piss easy to say.

Actuall, ignore the quote above as it is supremely perposterous and yet more drivel. Doesnt matter if you've got 'decent skills' (and if you havent, what are you doing contracting?).

Exactly...

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post

I've actually walked away from contracts due to an agencies fecking around with rates or contract terms. Sometimes I've had more than one offer other times I've had to wait. I've learnt the hard way if something sounds tulip it probably is and 100% of nothing is better than 100% stress.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
          X