• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor to Permanent for the Same Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor to Permanent for the Same Company

Having been with the same company for some time, they have now offered me a permanent position. I was wondering if its possible to get any perks brought into my contract, like extra holiday for the number of years I have been off service to them. Or should I be made redundant that the previous years are included in the redundancy package.

If anyone has any tips with negotiating contracts it would be greatly appreciated as I have no experience with this.

Negotiating is easy. You say what you want and give reasons why you should have it. You have to have your bottom line though, where if you don't get at least that, you walk away.

It seems to me that asking for previous service to be taken into account might not reflect well in an IR35 investigation. You're effectively saying that you've always been part and parcel of the organisation.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Is your contract direct or via an agent?

If via an agent, it might be worth utilising them.

Are you sure you want to go permanent? Depending on the organization, there might be extra paperwork and politics. It does change the dynamic.

Personally I would never negotiate stuff for contract into permanent role - for the reason NAT said.

Comment

Are you wanting holiday specifically, or just something extra? If it's something extra, make that money.

For example, do they let you buy/sell holiday days? Count that into the gross salary you want to accept.

Comment

I think you should take it regardless just to be able to shut your company down and avoid the IR35 investigation you are going to lose. HTH
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I think you should take it regardless just to be able to shut your company down and avoid the IR35 investigation you are going to lose. HTH
            What investigation?

Comment

Originally posted by btcc2000 View Post
              Having been with the same company for some time, they have now offered me a permanent position. I was wondering if its possible to get any perks brought into my contract, like extra holiday for the number of years I have been off service to them. Or should I be made redundant that the previous years are included in the redundancy package.

If anyone has any tips with negotiating contracts it would be greatly appreciated as I have no experience with this.
              Hmm, I must be incredibly thick or naïve or soft or missing a trick... but to me the two positions (permie\contract) are totally separate and should be kept that way. In my mind you're effectively a new start at the company and would have T&Cs as such. So if this is acceptable then take it, if not don't.

Justifying extra terms e.g. holiday based on previous years there, is mixing the two, so unless you've declared yourself as IR35 caught for those previous years then I think you'll be on a sticky wicket if it came to an investigation into those years.

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
                Justifying extra terms e.g. holiday based on previous years there, is mixing the two, so unless you've declared yourself as IR35 caught for those previous years then I think you'll be on a sticky wicket if it came to an investigation into those years.
                But what you can say is "I want an extra x days on top of the normal starting because the amount of free time is one of the reasons I became a contractor, and I do not want to give that up" to join your wonderful company, so this would be a sticking block for me".

If that happens to coincide with the amount you'd get after n years service, it isn't your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by le3ky View Post
                  But what you can say is "I want an extra x days on top of the normal starting because the amount of free time is one of the reasons I became a contractor, and I do not want to give that up" to join your wonderful company, so this would be a sticking block for me".

If that happens to coincide with the amount you'd get after n years service, it isn't your problem.
                  Worded like that it does keep them separate, agreed. The extra years for redundancy might be trickier though? Like I said in my post, maybe I'm thick\naïve\missing a trick or whatever, but I'd just start the same way any new start begins, the main negotiating point for me would be salary.

Comment

Originally posted by btcc2000 View Post
                    Having been with the same company for some time, they have now offered me a permanent position. I was wondering if its possible to get any perks brought into my contract
                    Why don't you just continue to contract for them? They want you and have been happy paying you up till now.
                    Are they going to get you cheaper as a perm? If so then tell 'em to stick it. If not then why are they offering?
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X