• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dilemma, what would you do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dilemma, what would you do?

Chaps

I really need some direction here from you seasoned owls.

Got a contract through, much higher day rate than normal, known consultancy, have done work for them before, know the people etc. Commute is via M25 and 85 mile each way

Unexpectedly got through a couple interviews with a big bank, got a final face to face, they seem keen on me, much higher rate than above, only 30 minute commute by train and will be good on my CV.

What would you do? Pursue the second gig, and let go the definitive one?

Option number two wont come along easily, its a dream gig but I might fail to land it after the face to face, so not definitive.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Chaps

Got a contract through, much higher day rate than normal, known consultancy, have done work for them before, know the people etc. Commute is via M25 and 85 mile each way

Unexpectedly got through a couple interviews with a big bank, got a final face to face, they seem keen on me, much higher rate than above, only 30 minute commute by train and will be good on my CV.

Option number two wont come along easily, its a dream gig but I might fail to land it after the face to face, so not definitive.
    delay the 1st offer as long as you can to see if you get the 2nd.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

If you turn down the definite one are you likely to get other offers?

If not then you are going to have to work out how to stall the first contract, and then do the interview for the second one.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Take the 1st offer now before it goes cold. Banks are getting way harder to get into. Can you pass all the security & background vetting checks as well as provide detailed financial records for the last 3 years?! Its also not uncommon to fail the last interview you usually come across someone who is looking for issues & will be trying to unnerve you to see the reaction. Agency will always tell you end client are keen but its rare for them to interview less than 3-5 people even at the final stage so that's your odds around 1 in 3. Only you can decide if that's worth blowing the other role for.

Comment

Cannot stall the first one , the start date time on that one matches exactly the face to face interview.

Gut feeling says to decline first and pursue second, taking the risk of all this backfiring spectacularly.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

My onboarding for my current gig took 6 weeks from the offer. It was 3 months in total.

Comment

Is your first day Monday? Are you finishing a contract at the moment?

if the answers are no and yes then 2-3 work days before the new contract begins phone and apologise to your 1st client saying that you are having problems with the handover due to client illness so would it be possible to delay the start date by a day.

Then go to the interview because as BP states it takes months for them to get things sorted before you can begin....
              Last edited by eek; 19 August 2017, 18:40.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Cannot stall the first one , the start date time on that one matches exactly the face to face interview.

Gut feeling says to decline first and pursue second, taking the risk of all this backfiring spectacularly.
                You could do, and end up with nothing. I was in a similar situation once. I ended up with nothing. I took a risk and it didn't work. But someone else came along in the end, no one died.

Comment

Start first contract but say you will need to leave early or start late due to unforeseen circumstances.

Bonus being they won't bin you if you make up for it in the first week, you'll get chance at the second contract, and you'll be telling the truth.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Chaps

Think like a business.

Accept 1st, send substitute. If 2nd comes off, you do 2nd and leave sub in 1st. If 2nd doesn't come off you can remove sub and restart 1st or leave sub and pursue other opportunities.

Simples.

Comment

Working...
                    X