• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dilemma, what would you do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Okay lots of interesting replies.

I have decided that taking a risk is the only way to taste success, so turned down the first offer, agency is not pleased at all. Will tackle the interview and see where it goes. If this gamble does not pay off, i will be humbled and might have to resort to desperate measures. I have nothing else in the bag
    Well,

In that case, all this forum can do is wish you best of luck. I really do hope it works out for you.

But unfortunately I agree with all the guys here, with the cut throat market the way it is at the moment, a nice gig where you know the people and (fairly) confident its long term ish is no bad thing, even at 85 miles.

But you are right, you have to "risk it for a biscuit" sometimes, but it does worry me in this market giving up a nice solid role for a bank role that you haven't even got yet...

Do keep us posted and enjoy contracting

Comment

Kind of strange responses here. Since when did contractors become so risk averse?

We all decided to take on risk when we went into business for ourselves. This is perhaps a bigger risk than some of us have taken, and it obviously can go too far, but if we're going to live by bird in hand and not be willing to take a risk to further our business, then maybe we really are just a bunch of permies in contractor guise who ought to be inside IR35.

I wouldn't be quick to advise someone to take the risk, but I certainly wouldn't advise him not to, either.

As always, you assess the likelihood of the risk, the cost of what you are giving up, and how you value the reward if it works out. You assess both monetary and non-monetary factors, and decide if the risk is worth it to you. There's no way you can know whether it will pay off, there's no way you can know all the factors, there's no way you can fully assess the risk. There's certainly no way any of us can know what you value the most.

You get as much information as you can, you balance it all, and then you make a decision. Once made, you don't look back. Whether it works or not, you made the best decision you knew at the time, you live with it and go on. You might learn from it as you discover things you didn't consider, that can factor into future decisions, but you don't try to relive it or undo it. Waste of time, no one has a time machine to go back and change the past.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
        Kind of strange responses here. Since when did contractors become so risk averse?
        The market has been bad the last couple of years. With Brexit it could get worse due to uncertainty.

We all have to take the advice we want to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post

We all decided to take on risk when we went into business for ourselves. This is perhaps a bigger risk than some of us have taken, and it obviously can go too far, but if we're going to live by bird in hand and not be willing to take a risk to further our business, then maybe we really are just a bunch of permies in contractor guise who ought to be inside IR35.

I wouldn't be quick to advise someone to take the risk, but I certainly wouldn't advise him not to, either.

As always, you assess the likelihood of the risk, the cost of what you are giving up, and how you value the reward if it works out. You assess both monetary and non-monetary factors, and decide if the risk is worth it to you. There's no way you can know whether it will pay off, there's no way you can know all the factors, there's no way you can fully assess the risk. There's certainly no way any of us can know what you value the most.

You get as much information as you can, you balance it all, and then you make a decision. Once made, you don't look back. Whether it works or not, you made the best decision you knew at the time, you live with it and go on. You might learn from it as you discover things you didn't consider, that can factor into future decisions, but you don't try to relive it or undo it. Waste of time, no one has a time machine to go back and change the past.
          Completely agree with the above. However if someone can't make up his or her own mind, then I think advising on the conservative side is for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
            Completely agree with the above. However if someone can't make up his or her own mind, then I think advising on the conservative side is for the best.
            I don't see the issue either - contractor comes asking for advice.

Its basically the 2 usual options:

- Safer (but lower day rate) contract. Comfy, knows the people, good environment etc etc

- TBC role but doing well at interviews, much higher rate £££ and difficult to get away from the dollar signs. Plus nearer home

Not surprisingly, the advice here will differ on your risk appetite and life experience. Some will say number 1 straight away, while others will go number 2 every time.

Its a healthy debate, you need to be able to see both sides.

I hope the interviews went well and they got the number 2 role.

Comment

Working...
            X