• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The applicant will essentially have the following:-

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The applicant will essentially have the following:-

A degree in computer science or any other relevant subject

That's handy then. Something I did 25+ years ago is really relevant....

Sort of puts me off because it says what sort of place it is....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Probably HR. If not, it proves you can get a degree which shows your calibre no matter how long ago. You could be like a Remoaner whose only education past primary school was borstal.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Probably HR. If not, it proves you can get a degree which shows your calibre no matter how long ago. You could be like a Remoaner whose only education past primary school was borstal.
      and I can program in COBOL lol.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

What a load of pap. Did you guess that?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

and I can program in COBOL lol.
          If you have a degree or some relevant qualification that will help.

Comment

Doesn't mean anything.

I have clients who have stipulated that IT workers need a degree. It didn't have to be Computer Science but in a STEM subject

In one client it was just part of the way they explained to other workers why the IT workers were paid more, and in two clients it was because the IT department contained people who had the least academic qualifications.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Doesn't mean anything.

I have clients who have stipulated that IT workers need a degree. It didn't have to be Computer Science but in a STEM subject

In one client it was just part of the way they explained to other workers why the IT workers were paid more, and in two clients it was because the IT department contained people who had the least academic qualifications.
              Tell me, did you ever correlate the ability of these co-workers at their job with the number of degrees they had achieved?

In my experience, most of the very best people I've worked with, who were truly experts at their roles, are the ones that had no degrees.

Perhaps that's because they were the ones learning and plying their trade whilst the "educated" ones were too busy getting their degrees?

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                Tell me, did you ever correlate the ability of these co-workers at their job with the number of degrees they had achieved?

In my experience, most of the very best people I've worked with, who were truly experts at their roles, are the ones that had no degrees.

Perhaps that's because they were the ones learning and plying their trade whilst the "educated" ones were too busy getting their degrees?
                Nope cos some of these degree qualified people had OU degrees or got them from polys so worked while studying.

In fact I had another client who as soon as they got a CV from someone with an OU degree would guarantee them an interview.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Nope cos some of these degree qualified people had OU degrees or got them from polys so worked while studying.

In fact I had another client who as soon as they got a CV from someone with an OU degree would guarantee them an interview.
                  Absolutely this. I've got an OU degree and I've had a couple of interviews where the interviewer also had one so spent most of the interview chewing the fat about the weekend etc. Got every gig from them. Surprisingly useful.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Absolutely this. I've got an OU degree and I've had a couple of interviews where the interviewer also had one so spent most of the interview chewing the fat about the weekend etc. Got every gig from them. Surprisingly useful.
                    "similar to me" bias - poor interviewing discipline

Comment

Working...
                    X