The applicant will essentially have the following:-
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 61
  1. #21

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    17,354
    Thanks (Given)
    187
    Thanks (Received)
    760
    Likes (Given)
    1235
    Likes (Received)
    2627

    Default

    When I was a hiring manager I really wasn't bothered about degrees. Sometimes though it was an HR requirement.

    I knew an IT manager with a degree in botany. His real name was apt in more than one way - Mr Tulip.

    In one organisation, my immediate boss had left school at 16 with a handful of O levels. At the time I worked for him, he was the youngest senior manager in a nationwide company. I believe some time after that he got an OU degree.

    I did see one job advert that insisted applicants must have a degree from Oxford or Cambridge.
    You won. Get over it.

    --drunk on abuse of power--

  2. #22

    Godlike

    barrydidit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    at the end of my tether
    Posts
    6,869
    Thanks (Given)
    435
    Thanks (Received)
    510
    Likes (Given)
    1726
    Likes (Received)
    2557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    When I was a hiring manager I really wasn't bothered about degrees. Sometimes though it was an HR requirement.

    I knew an IT manager with a degree in botany. His real name was apt in more than one way - Mr Tulip.

    In one organisation, my immediate boss had left school at 16 with a handful of O levels. At the time I worked for him, he was the youngest senior manager in a nationwide company. I believe some time after that he got an OU degree.

    I did see one job advert that insisted applicants must have a degree from Oxford or Cambridge.
    Has that been autocorrected?

    re Oxbridge - that was Brillo's advert for his butler.

  3. #23

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    7,291
    Thanks (Given)
    980
    Thanks (Received)
    496
    Likes (Given)
    344
    Likes (Received)
    2023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    A degree in computer science or any other relevant subject

    That's handy then. Something I did 25+ years ago is really relevant....

    Sort of puts me off because it says what sort of place it is....
    You'd think they'd make the Back-to-Work schemes more accessible.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  4. #24

    Fingers like lightning

    Dark Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    the post-apocalyptic wasteland
    Posts
    782
    Thanks (Given)
    267
    Thanks (Received)
    29
    Likes (Given)
    1455
    Likes (Received)
    117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    A degree in computer science or any other relevant subject

    That's handy then. Something I did 25+ years ago is really relevant....

    Sort of puts me off because it says what sort of place it is....
    Most of the people I've worked with have had degrees...

    Most of the really good people have had degress in anything but Computer Science
    Do what thou wilt

  5. #25

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    244
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    15
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I did see one job advert that insisted applicants must have a degree from Oxford or Cambridge.
    Whenever i used to see the words "red brick university degree" stated in the job posting as a requirement I knew I had dodged a bullet.

  6. #26

    Fingers like lightning

    billybiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    588
    Thanks (Given)
    6
    Thanks (Received)
    29
    Likes (Given)
    115
    Likes (Received)
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    It is? If I could find candidates as good as me I'd hire them in a heartbeat....
    But where would you find someone with such modesty and humility?

  7. #27

    Fingers like lightning

    billybiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    588
    Thanks (Given)
    6
    Thanks (Received)
    29
    Likes (Given)
    115
    Likes (Received)
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown View Post
    To paraphrase, you've worked with several muppets that had degrees. There are plenty of those.

    More generally than that....bollocks

    In a lot of specialist areas (outside of code monkeying), there isn't a route in without a degree/higher degree anyway, so it's moot.
    Nope. I've worked with many people. Some have had degrees, some haven't. Some of them have been muppets and some of those muppets have been the ones with degrees and some of them haven't.

    However, of the people who I can genuinely look back on as someone who was truly excellent at what they did, the majority of those people have been the ones without a degree - hell, some of them didn't even have any formal education at all.

    Perhaps related, but they've also mostly been the older folks. The ones who've been around for a longer time and have largely seen and done it all and arguably got to be as skilled as they are by application (ie. practice) of their trade rather than paper qualifications (i.e. theory).

    They can also usually smell BS (of both the management and shiny-new-but-really-old-technology kind) from a mile away, and simply get the job done in the most efficient and robust way (i.e. stuff that gets implemented/fixed stays fixed), usually while those "educated" folks are still dotting the i's and crossing the t's on their TPS reports.

  8. #28
    pr1
    pr1 is offline

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    905
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    47
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    I don't have a degree. It's never held me back. A lot of adverts I see for full time roles normally stipulate a degree "x years of relevant commercial experience".
    Quote Originally Posted by vwdan View Post
    Same - no degree, never been mentioned. Stopped putting any education whatsoever on my CV years ago, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by billybiro View Post
    Nope. I've worked with many people. Some have had degrees, some haven't. Some of them have been muppets and some of those muppets have been the ones with degrees and some of them haven't.

    However, of the people who I can genuinely look back on as someone who was truly excellent at what they did, the majority of those people have been the ones without a degree - hell, some of them didn't even have any formal education at all.

    Perhaps related, but they've also mostly been the older folks. The ones who've been around for a longer time and have largely seen and done it all and arguably got to be as skilled as they are by application (ie. practice) of their trade rather than paper qualifications (i.e. theory).

    They can also usually smell BS (of both the management and shiny-new-but-really-old-technology kind) from a mile away, and simply get the job done in the most efficient and robust way (i.e. stuff that gets implemented/fixed stays fixed), usually while those "educated" folks are still dotting the i's and crossing the t's on their TPS reports.
    IME a degree is just a fast-track to get higher quicker, doesn't mean you're any better once you're there - so the "older folks" are probably on similar ground to their degree-holding peers, but they probably took longer to get there

    I started contracting (in engineering) at 25, 3 years out of uni - I don't think I'd have got a single interview if I didn't have a good degree

  9. #29

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    33,287
    Thanks (Given)
    137
    Thanks (Received)
    1361
    Likes (Given)
    1732
    Likes (Received)
    5829

    Default

    Well the first post demonstrates that just having a degree doesn't mean your getting a decent contractor so we can put that argument to bed.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  10. #30

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    354
    Thanks (Given)
    15
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    136
    Likes (Received)
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pr1 View Post
    IME a degree is just a fast-track to get higher quicker, doesn't mean you're any better once you're there - so the "older folks" are probably on similar ground to their degree-holding peers, but they probably took longer to get
    I disagree. You can't get the same theoretical grounding in a stem subject on the job that you get from a three year degree. Granted if you decide to move to a completely unrelated area this doesn't really matter.
    "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.