• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Warchest Advice with loan?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by codedaddy View Post
    Thing is these contractors came into a family business and direct via no agency and they've basically talked them into it. I know if they went elsewhere it wouldn't be this high.
    So not really a good example and should be ignored for decision purposes.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Don't ever think of it like that. If you start to think of it like that, you'll never take a single day off (until your breakdown).
      That's true, but if you have someone who is paying off £3,000 in loans/mortgage every month and they are taking home £4,000, then taking a 2 week holiday means having less money coming in that month than you have going out.

What I was trying to point out to him was that you need to budget for not having the income when you take the time off, I'm not saying don't go on holiday, just make sure you can afford to go before you book it.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        So not really a good example and should be ignored for decision purposes.
        I know but I could still go somewhere and get market rates which seem to be 300 to 450 on average. I know I wouldn't get 750 rate doing what I do. And probably wouldn't get the full 450 rate off the bat anyway maybe a few years?

Comment

Yes I've see the invoices (which one contractor put down in front of me one day and said look at this. Get yourself out there) so ye they do and I am not after that kind of money. I've been looking at contracts between 3/400.
          £300-400 per day will not give you much more (if any) than you are currently on, by the time you pay tax, etc.
          Take off the other benefits you currently have - paid leave, paid sick days, pension, etc

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Incorrect.

You can claim JSA but if you quit your job they penalise you. So you have to put your claim in and wait 2-3 months before they give you any money. Even if you seat putting your claim in they will still penalise you that time.

If you have a mortgage you have to wait 6 months before they give you support for mortgage interest. (Next year they are changing it to a loan.)

It is impractical to expect everyone to sell their house quickly.
            Rubbish advice yet again!

You can claim JSA Conts or PIP depending where PIP has been rolled out. They cannot penalise you for Conts element because it's based on your NI Contributions.

You will not get JSA Income Based element if you quit, get sacked or have too much in savings.

The same applies to PIP.

The claim time to payments is not 2 or 3 month either unless you're slow giving them informationto determine your entitlement.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              £300-400 per day will not give you much more (if any) than you are currently on, by the time you pay tax, etc.
              Take off the other benefits you currently have - paid leave, paid sick days, pension, etc
              Don't get a single benefit in this job and don't get sick pay other than statuary which I think is 70/week? Not sure on that figure.

Comment

Warchest Advice with loan?

Don't get a single benefit in this job and don't get sick pay other than statuary which I think is 70/week? Not sure on that figure.
                There will be a workplace pension chime - that's the law. As for time off, how many days holiday do you get per year (including public/bank holidays)?

Actually, you don't want my advice, you want the words of people who tell you to go for it, and who tell you that £300 per day is £109,500 a year and it's all tax free.
                It's not.

Comment

There will be a workplace pension chime - that's the law. As for time off, how many days holiday do you get per year (including public/bank holidays)?

Actually, you don't want my advice, you want the words of people who tell you to go for it, and who tell you that £300 per day is £109,500 a year and it's all tax free.
                  It's not.
                  Definitely looks like it's this. It's getting boring now.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's not.
                    No I want all peoples advice and views on it. Your advice has been just as valuable as the others.

Yes get that pension thing. It's on lowest contribution they could get away with.

Holidays are 22 with public holidays but even then spend most of them working as you end up working at home when they call you up and if you don't answer they don't like that one bit.

Other than this no bens like you would probably get in other modern tech places.

Thanks

Comment

So, apart from statutory sick pay, 22 days holidays and a pension, you get no benefits. (Why am I hearing "what did the Romans ever do for us?")

Comment

Working...
                      X