• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

hsbc - cull starts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hsbc - cull starts

apparently firing lots of contractors at hsbc in canary wharf - agent told me he'll be on phone all day informing people.
    having a surname low in alphabet means I got call first -sweet.

Interesting - any particular area/project?

Comment

They are on a massive drive to shave £120M from their IT budget so no big surprise contractors get the bad news first. Surprised this has taken so long. Early last year the save £120M program started and as recently as a few weeks ago they were still advertising for IT staff.

Comment

i suppose a 'phone call is marginally better than security arriving at your desk <which has happened at other banks>.

Comment

its the investment banking side of things - told its across all areas.. just a general cut - internal bod wouldnt say what percentage of people - other than him and his colleagues will be busy all day calling people.
          I'm wfh so off to the pub now! nice day for it :-)

Comment

Starts again is a more apt title? They've a number of entries in the Roger Sinclairs list and I'm sure I've seen them mentioned at least twice on here that are not on his list.

http://www.egos.co.uk/contract-breakers.htm

If you are in a bank for more than 6 months you have to expect this now surely?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Starts again is a more apt title? They've a number of entries in the Roger Sinclairs list and I'm sure I've seen them mentioned at least twice on here that are not on his list.

They are cutting everyone, permies and contractors. I got 9 months out of them at a decent rate (with no cut), so can't complain, only expected 3 months.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

yes I've been expecting it since I started last december - the whole onus of my work was to automate things so they could be done easily in China and India..also all renewals for people where only for a month or two - but was a shock when I did get the call - I was expecting to last till end nov and not be renewed.

Comment

That's a very useful resource when considering options! More than a couple I've been put forward to on there.

Comment

Originally posted by slogger View Post
                    apparently firing lots of contractors at hsbc in canary wharf - agent told me he'll be on phone all day informing people.
                    having a surname low in alphabet means I got call first -sweet.
                    Change your surname to Zwingli, wait until they get halfway through, and then change it back again.

Comment

Working...
                    X